Practice Mills Grenade I.D. Help please

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Could anyone please tell me anything about this practice mill grenade.I have never seen one made of Aluminium or marked in this way.I did sell it a couple of weeks ago but the buyer messed me about and then blocked me >:(,so I shall return to my quest for identification.

Thanks in advance :)

H&J

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Field Marshall

I've never seen one like this... sorry buyer mucked you about. Will PM you... ;)

Guest Fred Karno's Army

His Loss not mine :D,just would love to know more about it :).I have never come across one in 40+ years,but ordinance isn't really my thing.

H&J

• Field Marshall

Never seen one like it, I'm thinking by the PRAC marking it's post war, not like any wartime practice Mills I've seen...

Me neither. Pactice No 36m were almost always painted white with a lead fill. Suspect this is post war.

• Upvote 1

I hate to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but many years ago there was a film being made at Battersea Power Station, I used to sell compounds like jewellers rouge, sizel wheels, polishing compounds etc, one of my customers was a metal workers/forge.They had been given a contract by the Films producers to make about 500 aluminium mills bombs, I saw them on the casting tables, and they were sent out unpainted, each one had PRAC on the bottom as per instructions and had ring pins and spoons, I even tried to get one from the owner of the business but it was a no go, It seems too coincidental that these are ally and have PRAC on the bottom as did yours, hope thats helpful

• Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I don't honestly know,it came with some local LDV items from a local house clearance so I thought if anything it would have been prewar being aluminium.If it's from a film I honestly don't know how it could have ended up with this lot,the guy who they belonged too passed away in the early seventies these came from his widow.

But never say never I suppose,I honestly don't know,but cheers for the input :grenade:

H&J 

A mystery surrounded by an enigma, I suppose it possible that yours was an original and the fake ones were based on their design, at a distance they look the part for a film, I do know that they were being made to be thrown, if I could remember the damn name of the film it might help, I do know it was a modern remake of a Medieval battle using modern weapons and Ordnance , I,ll do some checking

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
2 hours ago, Davejb said:

I hate to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but many years ago there was a film being made at Battersea Power Station, I used to sell compounds like jewellers rouge, sizel wheels, polishing compounds etc, one of my customers was a metal workers/forge.They had been given a contract by the Films producers to make about 500 aluminium mills bombs, I saw them on the casting tables, and they were sent out unpainted, each one had PRAC on the bottom as per instructions and had ring pins and spoons, I even tried to get one from the owner of the business but it was a no go, It seems too coincidental that these are ally and have PRAC on the bottom as did yours, hope thats helpful

That makes sense as I've never seen anything like it... Maybe why the original buyer backed out?

Got it, Richard the 111 made in 1995, with Ian McKellan, the Station was used for the final battle scene, the film was based on a Nazified England 

• Major General
On 12/02/2016 at 19:41, Davejb said:

Got it, Richard the 111 made in 1995, with Ian McKellan, the Station was used for the final battle scene, the film was based on a Nazified England 

On 09/02/2016 at 11:01, Lenny said:

Never seen one like it, I'm thinking by the PRAC marking it's post war, not like any wartime practice Mills I've seen...

I think you will find some one has cast this from a original and it's been used as it says practice. Most of my examples are from WW1 period that are aluminum 

• Field Marshall
14 minutes ago, Millsbomber said:

I think you will find some one has cast this from a original and it's been used as it says practice. Most of my examples are from WW1 period that are aluminum 

So you think rather than a film prop it actually is a practice grenade @Millsbomber? I was puzzled why a film prop would be marked PRAC?