Japanese staff

Davejb

Hi all, I would like to tell you about an item that I no longer have,, Many years ago when I was about 15 years old,  I walked into a junk shop that was local in Tottenham in London, I was looking around and there in a corner was a long bamboo shaft, on the top of which there was a rusty curved blade, This bamboo shaft had mother or pearl parts all the way down to the base  where a metal like finial was attached, I payed a very cheap price for it about 7 pounds, I later found out that it was Japanese. I kept  this thing for many years, until someone stole it at a fair where I had taken it to show it of along with some other items, Before it was nicked one of the guys at the fair told me that it was a very rare item, and its age dated back to 200 years, I was over the moon, as it was estimated  at about a grand, and to me that was a fortune, I dont to this day know what it was called is there anyone who would know , or has anyone seen one before, It has been bugging me for years, cheers Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Does someone know anything about this thing, I have since found something that looks a bit like it but it has no mother of pearl at all and the blade is not the same

@Davejb

Sounds pretty interesting. Did it feel like a weapon or more ceremonial? Some sort of Samurai weapon or Imperial guard maybe .

Edited by Afrikakorpsrat64
  • Like 1

If anything I would say it was more like a ceremonial weapon becuse of the Mother of Pearl but the blade was like a razer even though it was rusty, i cut my self once on it and it was bloody lethal, I would say it was a Samurai if anything, And If I could find the bugger that nicked it I would show him just how lethal it was

• Like 1

Hello Dave,

Yes I hope you find the thief who stole it and give him......A VERY close shave, especially in the neck area!!!

Best wishes to you both.....IanB

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I can't help but think of the 80's series Monkey, Sandy had a long staff with a decorative cutting edge?

Rich

Hello Rich, I was always watching Monkey, a good show, and yes that staff he had was similar, but I think the one I had was of and age that was used as a ceremonial piece but it was so sharp, even though the blade was rusty,