Entrenching tools

Björn

Here are some pictures I took last summer, going over some bits and pieces of fieldgear from my collection. This time it was bayonets and entrenching tools, that got a good going over by cleaning dust and oiling and preservation.
The prices on these things have literally gone trough the roof in the later years, unfortinently. Buying one of these from a militaria vendour today is no fun at all, as it will set you back several hundred Euros :(
Luckily, these do still show up from time to time here in Norway for a price that I can afford. Most of these I bought in the 90's .

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This one is new to the collection, and not pictured together with the other ones.
I bought it for a fair price (around 160 Euros) from a family  in my local area, only last weekend.

164410014_1157922654635902_4640738777040716579_n.jpg

164512608_1098116297351279_2469515022118130362_n.jpg

164748833_145875747436326_6098761910236840824_n.jpg

164937587_265767828461149_8043629407242964828_n.jpg

164978819_739530870016310_2177765868368296032_n.jpg

165165888_1566954150361875_3775042761255275872_n.jpg

Edited by Björn
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Again a very impressive collection, I dont know how you do it but whatever  it is keep doing it,  I think you have one of the best collections I have seen in a long long while,

• Like 2

Great Collection there Bjorn, yes I knew you had more Gems to show us. Now you need another portion of your new Museum for these items?

I hope you still have the bikes.....Yes I am sure you do, don''t think you will find anymore ......but your'e a " Lucky Man"  and seem to find all superb items from the War, all of which are very impressive. I bet you find an Panzer Tank soon in mint condition?????.......Let us know.

Best to you....Ian

• Like 1

Bet you are on the look out for one of these "dreaded" 88mm......This one is in a Museum in Caen, Normandy......Unfortunately I could'nt get it connect up to my camper and got it back to the UK........Poutain!!

Take care....Ian😪

IMGP6921.JPG

Thanks for the kind words, guys. There are still interesting collectibles out there to be found. I am always trawling second hand shops, and asking friends and acquaintances if they know about some leftovers from the war. Sometimes I get lucky :)

6 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

I bet you find an Panzer Tank soon in mint condition????

Hehe, yes that is actually a dream that I have. They do show up on the international market from time to time, but they do cost about two or three fortunes.
But I have already gotten permission from the wife, to aquire one, if I come across one for a price that I can afford :D

I found a nice cannon thou, wich i bought for my collection in 2017..
It was painted in Norwegian post war olive drab when I got it. It has since been repainted in the correct Wehrmacht grey colour. 
Here connected to the towing hook of my wife's car :D

IMG_8155.JPG

IMG_8160.JPG

IMG_8161.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Superb Bjorn,

Damn it.....I knew you had some heavy artillery in your collection, really brilliant looking.....and your Dear wife allowing you to buy a Panzer....What a Woman, we have trouble here with our missus asking if we can buy a bloody £20 military item....aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Told you you was a "Very Lucky Man"

Very Best to you Both.....Ian 

• Upvote 1

That is a real little corker, that must have turned peoples heads seeing that driving down the road and the wife waving as she went past

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes you are right Dave......Can you imagine Bjorn's wife loading up the shell and having a shot across the car park in a Norwegian ----LIDL.....!!!

Best to you both....Ian

Bjorn......Not sure if you drink much red wine in Norway......but I think you need one of these special sink and taps ......to give you the rest you need from all your hard work.....!!!

Good drinking and have a drink to you All ...from me!

Best wishes....Ian

NORWAY FLAG.png

1185529_10151883511013939_1997258587_n.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davejb said:

That is a real little corker, that must have turned peoples heads seeing that driving down the road and the wife waving as she went past

Haha, yes. You know, the usual full time family routine. A tight schedual and lots of stuff to do :D

15871603_1539656122714406_5450126954500044690_n.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

BRILLIANT........Bjorn....Made me laugh....Very good!!!

Best to you......Ian (We need more like that)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Björn, this is my only entrenching tool I have except for a couple of old swiss ones I use in the garden. The carrier is a Finnish SA. from about 1940. Original German carriers are going for crazy money now! I will have to sell a kidney for one. 🤣 

Do you have any idea on the maker of mine? I think it was "Schoa werk" but my memory escapes me. Cheers!

20210423_060104.jpg

20210423_060113.jpg

20210423_060140.jpg

20210423_060146.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I saw one at War and Piece and the price was stupid money, and that was a few years ago

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Davejb said:

I saw one at War and Piece and the price was stupid money, and that was a few years ago

Some one recently offered me a Prestoff carrier, but 1943 dat for $400, I have a very hard time paying that kinda money for just a carrier. I need a 1940 dated one. but I may not live long enough to get one. lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice Tony, They seem to be pretty collectible items complete with the leather cover, good to hang on the wall maybe, but seems you like to dig your garden with them instead, what are you planting flowers or veg, in your super climate ..Good Idea!

Best to you.....Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Thanks 1

A mate of mine saw one of them in a Oxfam shop here in UK, He new what it was, they did,nt, he got it for 10 pounds, when I saw it the blade had never been used, He is one of the luckiest buggers I know, and he gets really good bits an pieces for almost nothing, I dread it when  he call,s me as I know its something good and it makes me so mad

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What really peed me off, was that I had been in that Oxfam the day before, and they had not put the bloody thing out for sale yet, how unlucky can a person be!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Dave,

What a lucky man he was, sometimes we pass these shops and do not even think of popping in.....but when we do there may be the wonderful Military Item we are looking for that the shop personnel have NO idea what it's worth......Yeh we have to go in and have a look ......there may be the jewel that you want that they have NO idea what it is or what it is worth.......Yes for a cheap price for your collection, bloody surprising when people have a house clearance what they throw away. 

Best to you both...Desert Rat/ Ian

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Davejb said:

What really peed me off, was that I had been in that Oxfam the day before, and they had not put the bloody thing out for sale yet, how unlucky can a person be!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear ya! I am always a day late and a dollar short.

• Haha 2

Hello to you both,

You see it all the time on an English TV programme for example - The Antiques Roadshow - some (Lucky) bas....d, buys an item from a boot fair, possibly has a little idea what it is and buys it for ----say 50 Pence/ £1/ £5  or whatever, takes it to the bloody roadshow and the experts amazingly ask -"what did you pay for it?) ????.....Then suddenly the buyer is "Falling off his/her chair" as the expert describes the object, the date, then the value.....Then find the item is a bloody Faberge egg....bought for a £20 then sold for £2, 000++++. or whatever, ......Lucky or fortunate is what we all are, we need to visit these shops and -Boot fairs- and hopefully find the priceless item....That will hopefully get us all out of the S.....T we are in!

Keep Looking....Good Luck to you ALL.....Find your treasured item and enjoy the profit!......YEHHHHH

Desert Rat/ Ian

• Upvote 1

I have to admit that I did get a good deal out of that shop once, I was looking in the window one day and saw a set of Binoculars , I thought they look German, they had the Desert Sand over them, they had no strap and no case, so I went inside and asked if I could see them, The woman got them out and I looked then made out to hum and ha about them, When the teller said they were £4.00, I nearly choked , and said 0K , They were a pair of Voitlander WW2 Binoculars in perfect condition. A short time later I was at War and Piece and took them with me, One of the sellers there had lots of German Binoculars, and said that they were £130 to by in that condition, he then said that he has the proper strap for them so I had that of him for £6.00 and to this day I still look out at the Aircraft that fly over with them and they are as clear as a bell

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 23/04/2021 at 13:31, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

Do you have any idea on the maker of mine? I think it was "Schoa werk" but my memory escapes me. Cheers!

@Afrikakorpsrat64 , your Kleines Schanzzeug was manufactured by:

Idealspaten und Schaufelwalzwerk vorm. Eckardt & Co. GmbH

A very distinctive logo with a man and a spade :)

https://fjm44.com/articles/equipment/entrenching-tools/straight-e-tool-idealspaten/

ideal.PNG

RADplate5b.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, val said:

@Afrikakorpsrat64 , your Kleines Schanzzeug was manufactured by:

Idealspaten und Schaufelwalzwerk vorm. Eckardt & Co. GmbH

A very distinctive logo with a man and a spade :)

https://fjm44.com/articles/equipment/entrenching-tools/straight-e-tool-idealspaten/

ideal.PNG

RADplate5b.jpg

@valMuch appreciated for the info!!

• Thanks 1