Railwayana (70's/80's)

Waffenamt

• Major General

I must admit,i was verrrry pissed off after January 2020 when all the shows stopped. No militaria,no re enactment so i kinda stumbled on an old hobby from when i was a nipper.  Jeeezos H,it has spiralled out of control.

I have many flamecut number panels from old diesel locomotives,station signs and all sorts of stuff. Had a veranda built and one of the lads mentioned it looked like a station lol.  Big mistake. I now have 20 foot of full scale track to lay and some signalling...... Soon as a i can suss out uploading pics(ive always stumbled on that),i can show some items.

cheers

waffy

• Like 1

• Major General

This is the tip of the iceberg... loads more number panels. That buffer stop with the track pictured,is what I’m creating in the back garden. 😆

• Thanks 1

Bloody hell, I dont suppose you have an old loco somewhere, do you

• Haha 2

• Field Marshall
8 minutes ago, Waffenamt said:

This is the tip of the iceberg... loads more number panels. That buffer stop with the track pictured,is what I’m creating in the back garden. 😆

All I can say is wow.... 😮

• Thanks 1

• Major General

I think I’m reverting back to when I was a young ‘un.

Gonna take something special to get me back into my usual game. My mate Ben in Holland has got a lovely tail fin fir me from a 1000kg Hermann,but how do I get it here?

Don’t think there gonna be many  euro dealers across the water anymore since Brexit. 

• Thanks 1

• Major General
4 minutes ago, Davejb said:

Bloody hell, I dont suppose you have an old loco somewhere, do you

Now,if I had gone the other way down the garden,I could’ve squeezed 60 foot plus of track down. I could’ve got an old diesel shunter for £5000.  Somehow I think the neighbours would not be best pleased 😀 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When I was but a lad of 7 I lived in Tottenham North London, There was a Bridge one house away  from us and the steam trains were always parsing by, and the drivers use to toss out huge great lumps of coal into the garden, My dad used them on the fire all the time

• Upvote 2

Absolutely Fabulous @Waffenamt!!  Some really super stuff there! I have a switch stand somewhere on the property, but only a few small things. I would love to spend a few hours and a few pints with you amongst all that! Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Major General

Once this ‘Rona lifted,then you would be very welcome to have a mooch. :)

• Upvote 1

Just to mention that when my Mum ( Anne Robertson Strachan) was a young girl in Wishaw (Scotland) she and the neighbours in the street used to go everyday carrying metal buckets along the railway lines to pick up pieces of coal that they threw out, as my Mum told me 20 or 30 women would join in with their sons and daughters to scour the tracks for anything like coal......Many of you probably remember your Dear family doing this as in the 20's and 30's even in the 40's....to take buckets of coal back home to light the fire in the kitchen and boil water (many Times in a kettle) so that when Dad came home from work he could have a hottish bath, which was a tin bath in front of the fire, then the Mum would go next (Yes in the same water) then the children from the oldest to the youngest......Unbelievable when we think of what we have today.

And to mention my Mum's Aunt Jemima had 16 children......How this Dear women coped with the ....feeding, washing, paying the rent etc and feeding them...I myself when my Mum who is over 100 years old today and still going lived told me, It seems impossible to understand let alone believe but it was True as all over the UK had all the same suffering and work to do, for the love of their families.

Thank us ALL we do not have to go through this life again....How Very Fortunate and Very, Very Lucky ......We All Are Today, Let us all realise what they suffered and endured with no help from the government......Survival, they certainly should be remembered!

Desert Rat........SCOTLAND THE BRAVE.....!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • Major General
On 22/04/2021 at 18:32, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

Absolutely Fabulous @Waffenamt!!  Some really super stuff there! I have a switch stand somewhere on the property, but only a few small things. I would love to spend a few hours and a few pints with you amongst all that! Cheers!

Since we last talked,the collection has grown again.  I think this will eventually outstrip the inert ammo. I will keep the bombs and fuzes for the re enactment group. But once i decide to start selling up,it would be an avalanche of sales of the Artillery,Mines and the rest of the TR stuff

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1