Militracks 2021.

Charliesniff

Hopefully off to the Netherlands for Militracks 2021 after a years wait. Crossed fingers that Holland is open. Does anyone have any tips for sites to see when over there. That is apart from the usual Market Garden goodies. Want to visit some off the track areas.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Charlie,

Welcome to MCN...We all hope you will enjoy this Great Military Website.

I can only suggest to go on Google and make an enquiry on there, it should show you.....Good Luck  and let us know what you find?

Best to you....Desert Rat

• Like 1

See if you can get to the Para drop area about 8 miles away, I think that some people have been finding the odd bits and pieces out there

• Like 1

Thanks both. We hope to do a bit of off the radar exploration. On a visit to the Somme Battlefields we came across an old Luftwaffe airfield and found some underground bunkers. Very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hello Charles,

Thanks for reply, just to mention to you and anyone who visits the Battlefields of WW1 there is a superb book (which I bought 25 years ago - when I first visited the Somme etc) Is by - Rose E.B. Coombs MBE called - Before  Endeavours Fade - you can follow the routes showing many dozens of maps and drawings which she made possibly 50 years ago? To assist many thousands who wanted to find their loved ones grave.

You can but it on EBay about £10? but well worth the price.

Good Luck & Best to you....Desert Rat 

The image below is the crash site of Albert Ball VC-DSO etc, and the book by Rose is below on the memorial, if I hadn't had the book I would never have found his grave and his crash site( He is buried nearby, strangely enough he is the only British Hero buried there, all the rest are German)

Images Sole Copyright of Ian R. Bridle.

IMGP4057.JPG

A BALL GRAVE.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

Sorry, I made a mistake this account is now added as a - Topic - Thank You!

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

• Major General

Overloon Museum itself is fantastic for a starters. :)  Youll love my mate Ben Junier collection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 29/04/2021 at 09:00, Waffenamt said:

Overloon Museum itself is fantastic for a starters. :)  Youll love my mate Ben Junier collection.

Hope to meet Ben when we are over there.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2021 at 18:58, Desert Rat said:

Hello Charles,

Thanks for reply, just to mention to you and anyone who visits the Battlefields of WW1 there is a superb book (which I bought 25 years ago - when I first visited the Somme etc) Is by - Rose E.B. Coombs MBE called - Before  Endeavours Fade - you can follow the routes showing many dozens of maps and drawings which she made possibly 50 years ago? To assist many thousands who wanted to find their loved ones grave.

You can but it on EBay about £10? but well worth the price.

Good Luck & Best to you....Desert Rat 

The image below is the crash site of Albert Ball VC-DSO etc, and the book by Rose is below on the memorial, if I hadn't had the book I would never have found his grave and his crash site( He is buried nearby, strangely enough he is the only British Hero buried there, all the rest are German)

Images Sole Copyright of Ian R. Bridle.

IMGP4057.JPG

A BALL GRAVE.jpg

I have that book and it has been an excellent source of info on our trips to the Somme and Ypres.

• Like 1

Try to get to Thiepval Its one of the largest monuments there is, In the War Hitler was there  and one of his men carved a Swastica on the top, Hitler had him sent to the East front and I found too relatives of my mums family in the book, that was a complete shock, they were both killed on the same day in the same battle

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

Yes Thiepval is a monument NOT to be missed, I always visit that, I think Edward Luychens? designed and had it built.

Just down the road is the Ulster Tower Memorial and Cemetery in the field near the tower on the right side and below, if you walk down the field towards the river you will find a part destroyed concrete German machine gun post(they raked the Brits with fire and killed many) then further down over the river Ancre (where the Brits used to wash and get their water for tea etc) you come to  - Beaumont Hamel - another Fabulous Memorial to the New Foundland Regiments soldiers....who I believe lost out of 800 most of them?

Enjoy you trio]p and search the fields, lots can be found, but be careful of "Live" ammo and shells.

Best to you....Desert Rat/ Images Copyright to Ian R. Bridle

ULSTER TOWER 1986.jpg

RIVER ANCRE.jpg

IMGP6243.JPG

NEWFOUNDLAND MEM.jpg

570e87c576b58_THEIPVAL...WINKSCHECK.jpg

ULSTER TOWER 01.jpg

WINKS PIC OZ.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text