Todays finds SA and some bits

Richard Auld

Guys,

As stated above. bit mixed, he threw in the medals cheep!

Any ideas about the Russian ones?

Rich

CIMG8599.JPG

Edited by Richard Auld
  • Like 2

The bloke said he has had it for 40 years and he is a heavy smoker, my clothes were stinking when I left and when I handle it my hands stink of nicotine, any advice on cleaning it up just a bit? Scabbard has a ding on reverse as pictured.

Rich

CIMG8605.JPG

CIMG8610.JPG

CIMG8611.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Rich,

To clean, I am presuming the blade only- what about a very fine wire wool, that does not scratch or if you have a polishing mop on the end of a drill with a fine soap applied this will bring the blade up  - as New! I polished all my Harley stainless and Ally parts with a mop- white soap and ( I used a red soap bar) for gold, brass and copper, it's a very fine compound but what a finish, then a final polish with a sheepskin mop NO soap, you can buy mini ones to use on an electric drill with the arbour tightened on and that should give you a great finish....perhaps even on the handle. Maybe a a dremel would assist you?

Try a test first on a piece of steel or an item - not so good and have a practise on the finish you want for the dagger.....There you go!

Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Well first of all, you dont use any thing Abrasive, try a mild soap, just to get rid of the smell and the nicotine, this can also be done on the whole thing, the idea is to remove smell, and the the dirt that has has been caused from the smoke, if you wanted to you can then use a wet rag to go over the upper  parts to clean the handle ,the metal parts and the motives

Dave,

it is just stinking and discoloured with the fag smoke! I don't know whether to take it down and wash it, in that way I would be able to dry all the bits before reassembly. If I just wash it it could remain damp under the nooks and crannies causing issues in the future?

Nah, will give it a spin when I am not at work.

Rich

Hello,

Yes it's easy to remove the smell, but to get the blade (If in bad condition - not it seems for this blade, but other peoples) you will need as I have suggested, I am not an idiot I have been polishing many Military items, m/cycle parts and all metals for years....But if you don't like my advice....It's up to you, just ignore it....!!!

Desert Rat

Let us know how it goes Rich, it should come up nice, but be careful when undoing the top nut,it might be hard to get off as its been  awhile  

As far as the Russian medals go I only know the one in the middle is a labor award, usually sell for under 10 dollars US.

• Like 1

Yes Mike,

the middle one has over 30,000,000 issues so I see it is not of much value but the other is a bit less in issue, not really my thing though!

Rich

Rich any news on the SA Dagger , have you had a go at it and if so how did it come up

• Like 1

on the to do list, its on the pile to go up the attic flat! No time at the moment...

• Like 1