In Memory of Private George Nugent...WW1

Desert Rat

LOCHNAGAR CRATER.....WW1

•  

I just thought I would add a few images of the Lochnagar Crater, and the Memorial Service to one of Our Own British Soldiers, and My Own Memory of Being there on the Day His Memory was Remembered.

When I visited there for a memorial Service to Private George Nugent in 1999....who on that day of July 1st 1916 (after the massive mine was detonated /blown) he advanced with many fellow comarades and was killed by enemy fire it was issued that he was Missing in Action. It wasn't until a Frenchman walking his dog around the crater (in about 1996?) that the dog scuffed the ground and had in it's mouth a boot and an ankle bones - the man called the Police who eventually called (I Think?) the War Grave Commision, who dug his body up and by his I.D Tags found it to be George Nugent.....at least his family after many years  grieving the loss accepted he was, as not registered - Missing - but now accepted his body was found and is buried nearby in a British Cemetery, in which they could find his grave.

It was a very moving service and attended by maybe 50 - 75 people and the local Priest gave his blessing.......Yes it was sad for me and more so for his family, who I presume came later to visit his Resting Place.

Here are a few images of the massive crater that I took on that day as thousand of poppies were scattered all around the base of the crater....In Memory of the British who were killed and the many hundreds if not thousands of the enemy (5, 000...???)

In Memory of 1306 - Private George Nugent of the 22nd Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers.... and the Millions killed during WW1 the World's Most Catastrophic War.....Until 1939....that is another story one day!

Desert Rat

My camper is at the top, just to show the scale of the immense depth that this mine blew.

lochnagar mem (004).jpg

LOCHNAGAR 01.jpg

lochnagar 2.jpg

Reply to this topic...
Edited by Desert Rat
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

So were you the Frenchman that was walking his dog when he was found