A couple of WW1 German canteens.

Afrikakorpsrat64

Here are a couple of rough WW1 German canteens I have in the collection. The one with dark gray cover was one I got in a mail order auction when I was like 15. $10 I think I paid (Before the internet and Ebay!lol)

20210507_110549.jpg

20210507_110552.jpg

20210507_110555.jpg

20210507_110607.jpg

20210507_110620.jpg

20210507_110704.jpg

20210507_110742.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Hello Tony,

Well I bloody good buy for you, they look great considering what they have been through and to get the original cork stoppers with them......Well Done!

You still haven't told me where you find these great items....Yeah Tony Keep it secret......Best Wishes as always....Ian👍

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Tony,

Well I bloody good buy for you, they look great considering what they have been through and to get the original cork stoppers with them......Well Done!

You still haven't told me where you find these great items....Yeah Tony Keep it secret......Best Wishes as always....Ian👍

I mostly just kinda stumble on stuff, or buy from friends who also collect. The shops and antique markets are usually too expensive. I like to do a trade when ever possible.

• Upvote 1

Hello Tony,

Yes that's good idea to do a trade, I have over £3, 000 of French Resistance items here, flags, brassards (arm Bands) posters etc etc and I bought them as a friend in Bristol-UK ...told me ---"Buy all you can then I will pay you your price".....Then after all I had spent, he lost his job, so all still here and they if you can are only found in the Museums in France as a Remembrance to the ---FFI Resistance.

Ca La Vie, (Such is life) my bloody loss as always......Take Care My Friend...Ian

• Upvote 1

Hello Tony,

Please send My Best Wishes to Eric and hopefully he will visit MCN soon......Many Thanks.....Ian

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think they used lead solder on the seams of those. Seems the gear was as dangerous as combat: lead solder, asbestos in the gas masks, and asbestos pads in the tin hats!

• Upvote 1

Hello Ahrtal,

Good to see you on here and I hope you are well. Judging by the lead and asbestos in many enemy types of equiptment.....I am surprised they reached the Front Line.....Or dead by poisoning by the time they got there!!!

Best wishes....Ian