5th and 6th Engineer Special Brigade M-1

Gus Abel

M-1 helmet as worn by members of the 5th and 6th Engineer Brigade during the D-Day invasion. Helmet is not owned by me. A friend allowed me to handle and photograph...

101_3390.JPG

101_3391.JPG

101_3392.JPG

101_3393.JPG

101_3394.JPG

101_3395.JPG

101_3397.JPG

70653601_506708520113485_6044755565303824384_n.jpg

70675600_2550882631640027_6328041562219479040_n.jpg

• Upvote 3

Do you think it was a good idea to have a large aiming point on helmets, to me it was tempting fate,is it not the reason why officers removed there rank flashes

• Upvote 1

Interesting point...probably not, helmet was posted for it's historical value..and that only a handful of these survive today, extremely rare

• Like 1

Yes I am happy you posted it and for the historical content, and that they are rare, I just seem to think of the the absurd aspect in war that things like this could and did get men killed

Hello Gus,

Superb helmet and very hard to find, great condition also. Thanks for showing us on MCN.

Best to you.....Desert Rat

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Davejb said:

Do you think it was a good idea to have a large aiming point on helmets, to me it was tempting fate,is it not the reason why officers removed there rank flashes

I felt the same about the rank painted on them. Just seems like a fine target for German Marksmen. I just think us "Yanks" learned slowly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think (maybe I am wrong? but many high up soldiers painted over their helmet insignia, or covered them with mud....as a precution that they were not the first ones to be shot......By snipers?

Am I wrong or right?

Best to you all....Desert Rat/ Ian

Hello Gus,

Here are a few images of "Bloody Omaha Beach" taken when I visited it (No cover at all for the landing soldiers---just the installation of some of Rommel's "Asparagus" metal railway tracks and steel barriers)  and the Cemetery above 2 years ago.

Best to you.....Desert Rat

IMGP6107.JPG

IMGP3729.JPG

IMGP6836.JPG

MEM OMA 2013.jpg

OMAHA POEM.jpg

IMGP7144.JPG

OMAHA CEMETERY.jpg

OMA STATUE.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

a true fact about marked helmets. many officers were shot dead due to the follow me stripes and rank insignia on their pots. this was big time in the pacific for japanese aimed for marked helmets such as medics which later reduced sized markings were used. i have seen many pots were the markings were covered up or scratched off so a target wasn't present. it also can be said about other painted pots as well such as para, engineer, div. marked and so on. gi's were big on marked helmets and many paid the price for it.