Hello,

I have a uniform trunk of metal/copper construction from World War 1. It belonged to Air Chief Marshall Sir Keith Rodney Park GCB, KBE, MC &Bar, DFC (1892-1975). In World War 2 he was in command of 11 Group RAF responsible for for the defence of London and the Southeast. In Germany he was known as the “Defender of London”. On the lid of the trunk is his name with a rank of Major indicating this was his during World War 1. Newspapers inside the trunk are from the West Sussex Gazette dated 1948 and we think my relative acquired it at this time, probably from RAF Tangmere near to where my relative lived.

Can anyone give me an indication if this item is collectable and of any value?

I can't seem to upload images at the moment!

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hello Lift, and welcome, I would say that you have something of historic value there, you could contact RAF Tangmere , tell them you have this  and see if they would like to see it, or you could loan it out to Duxford  if they will have it, that way it will be on show for others to see, I think that Park use to fly into Duxford in war time

Hello Lift and Welcome to MCN.

Sounds a very collectable chest, any chance of sending some images so we can see it....as it's very Interesting.....Thanks!

Best to you.....Desert Rat

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. He was certainly an amazing chap! Next time I go to London I'll be sure to visit his statue. I"ve tried to upload some images but the forum won't allow me to. Does any one know how?   

Funnily enough, I've just discovered an old Queen Victoria 3 penny bit in there dated 1898!

Edited by Lift
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It depends on the quality of the coin, they can range from 75pence to over 30 pounds so I would keep it 

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to uploading some images of the uniform box ...

Keith Park.png

Keith Parks2.png

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I contacted Tangmere museum about this and they said without provenance they wouldn't take it. I don't have that unfortunately. So, I've just listed it on eBay if anyone is interested! Seems silly just to be sat in my office!

It's listed under Vintage World War 1 Uniform Trunk believed to belong to Sir Keith Park RAF.

I think you may as will keep it, i bet that there is someone out there that will have it and will no better