WW2 BOAC Mk6 Mosquito Relic.

Norrie

Just arrived, got this High Voltage Regulator from a well known aviation historian and author of books about the same.
Used in the passenger compartment of  Mosquito Mk6, G-AGGF used by BOAC on the "Bearing Run" to Sweden during WW2, carried a single passenger in the converted bomb bay, and from what I'm told, used to change from Light, to Oxygen to Heat by the passenger in the tiny space.......
Unfortunately this aircraft crashed on 17th August 1943 after getting lost over Glen Esk in Scotland. Killing both crew...Captain Wilkins and RO Beaumont...🙁
Lots of info on the web about it...

The photo of the aircraft getting ready to take off, is supposed to be the night of the terrible crash....their is obvious fire damage to the regulator...:(

BOAC mossie pic.jpg

20210514_120654.jpg

20210514_120720.jpg

20210514_120742.jpg

20210514_121024.jpg

bomb bay passenger.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thats a neat bit of history you have there Norrie, have you been to the Mosquito Museum , on the way to St Albans  along the M25 ,there they have the very first Mosquito in full early livery and its complete, , they also have the front part of the one used in the film that Cliff Robinson was in and they have all sorts of other Aircraft, its a must see place

• Like 2

Hi Dave...If you mean the one at Hatfield then yes...was there a few years ago...one of the Mosquito FBV1's bears the same numbers as the aircraft my uncle piloted during WW2, UP/G...tho its a later aircraft as the original was destroyed...I was invited down, as I had stacks of info on the plane and 605 sqn..and was meant to get a sit in UP/G...got down there, to find the tailplane had fallen off, and the plane was being held down by being tied to an anvil.....next time tho, hopefully this year.......also, when I was there, the head of records at Hendon was there too, and now, I have an open invite to go see them...:) 

Wee pic of me in front of UP/G...and a combat report on UP/G

Mossie Museum.jpg

combat reports ww2002a.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Norrie,

Great image of you and the plane...Fantastic and beautiful aircraft, even though made of wood (Now we know what you look like)☺️

The film was "633 Squadron" with David Mcullem, Angus ?????, etc etc......but the music score for the film is superb.

Thanks for showing us...Best to you...Desert Rat/ Ian

Sorry.....another balls-up from me. Dave is correct Mosquito Squadron DVD (2003) David McCallum

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

David Mcullum was in Mosquito Squadron not 633 Squadron  to different films

• Thanks 1

Norrie thats the one, been there a few times,When you go again let me no, I,m only a few miles away from there, we can meet up and have a drink and a chat

• Like 2

Hello to you both,

That will be great if you can meet up and have a beer together, not sure where you both live?.......But send us an image of you both with a "Big" beer together, have a good time as friends and members of MCN.....Best wishes to you both.

Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2021 at 01:11, Davejb said:

Norrie thats the one, been there a few times,When you go again let me no, I,m only a few miles away from there, we can meet up and have a drink and a chat

Hi Dave...I would love to meet up...the pint sounds good too, it will involve a B&B tho...LOL...one pint aint enough for me....every chance I'll be there this summer...got a trip to RAF Manston and Bradwell Bay hopefully this summer too, Going to try do a "Road Trip" of sorts...and take them all in.... I'm a member of the RAF Bradwell Bay Heritage Assoc.......... London Colney is an amazing museum, particularly with my Mosquito interest..and not far to Hemel Hempstead either, my uncle is buried there in a CWGC grave.......:) My one and only visit was a few years ago, and you know, I drove directly to his grave...it was as if he was "guiding" me...:) Weird one that was...:)

Jackies writeup and gravec.jpg

Jackies writeup and graved.jpg

• Upvote 2