REME Dunkirk Soldiers Paybook.

Norrie

I'm now getting into collecting paperwork , paybooks, release papers, scrap books etc....and have had this one for a little while. 

Its a paybook and some paper ephemera relating to a Cpl Eric Rose, no 2076140 of originally the Royal Artillery, then the  RAOC, then transferred to the REME. 

He was a member of the BEF in France during 1939-40.

He made it right through to become a member of the BAOR, and I think, demobbed in about 1946. 

It looks like he enjoyed making radios, as he brought a home made one back from Germany...in 1946.

Just looking at his "Foreign Service " page in the paybook, really makes me think what he went through.... 

He landed in France on 26th Oct 1939, and was safely home on 30th May 1940...almost 81 years to the day....:)

20210516_192109.jpg

20210516_192304.jpg

20210516_192326.jpg

20210516_192348.jpg

20210516_191550.jpg

20210516_193248.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff! He was local to me, just up the road at Walsrode near to Fallingbostel!

Rich

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Richard Auld said:

Good stuff! He was local to me, just up the road at Walsrode near to Fallingbostel!

Rich

Excellent Richard....I love it when I find local stuff too...got a few WW1 medals and paperwork to the Argylls, my local regt...and when I finally retire, they will be properly researched...:)

Couple of years ago, on the bay, I bought a WW1 Small Book to a soldier Southam, my surname too, anyway, sent my dad the details, hes the family historian, turns out the guy is/was an older cousin of my grandads from Kendal.!!! Could not make it up...:)

20210516_220716.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brilliant Norrie,

another super item for your collection, really good to see these items as I am sure many were thrown away (possibly) when the soldier was demobbed?

Best to you.....Ian

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Brilliant Norrie,

another super item for your collection, really good to see these items as I am sure many were thrown away (possibly) when the soldier was demobbed?

Best to you.....Ian

I would agree with that Ian..such a shame too.......I have maybe 40 or so, WW1 and 2 Paybooks, (army) around 20 or so WW2 RAF books, and maybe 30 or so release paper's too...I just love em', and will enjoy the research later...:)

• Like 1