20th Hussars Soldiers Paybook. 1908.

Norrie

Another bit of paperwork in today....this belonged to Edward Stapley, signed up to the 20th Hussars in August 1908....lots of research to be done on this..

Inside the paybook was a very apt note...:)

Hussars Paybook001.jpg

Hussars Paybook002.jpg

Hussars Paybook003.jpg

Hussars Paybook004.jpg

Hussars Paybook005.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Norrie,

What a superb Item you have found, in great condition considering the age. But really good to read the text and see this "Hero's" name and service number.

Well Done....Let us know how you get on researching his Army Career.

Best to you.....Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

What a superb Item you have found, in great condition considering the age. But really good to read the text and see this "Hero's" name and service number.

Well Done....Let us know how you get on researching his Army Career.

Best to you.....Ian

I found his old home...No 4 :)

https://goo.gl/maps/j2UEN1Ai8Woqpkb17

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 1

What I like about all these or Wehrpass etc is that they unique to an individual, just a little snippet of history that is not duplicated like say a helmet or gas mask etc....

Rich

• Like 1

A bit of topic but you will see where I am going with this, Years ago when I was about 19 years old, I would always go down to Camden Passage in London as there was a very good Military fair , One time I saw an old guy there selling Army Pay books, he had  quite a  lot  but there was something about them that looked off, they were all badly damaged and looked blood stained, For some reason I felt that I would call my mates dad, He did,nt live far from there, He was a very good collector of all things military, He came over saw them and started to ask where this guy got them from, This guy was very off, and so my mates dad called the Police, We latter found out that this guy was a Medic and was on one of the D Day beaches, this  peice of crap for a person, took the pay books off the dead and never handed them in but sold them years latter and was making money out of it, He went to prison for 2 years , The police found other items at this guys house and were able to find the next of kin to quite a few relatives. I am pleased to say that this guy died a few weeks latter after coming out of prison, at least that was what we were told, I hope it was true

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

What I like about all these or Wehrpass etc is that they unique to an individual, just a little snippet of history that is not duplicated like say a helmet or gas mask etc....

Rich

Yep, I think that's why I like them so much...makes it all sort of personal...:)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Davejb said:

A bit of topic but you will see where I am going with this, Years ago when I was about 19 years old, I would always go down to Camden Passage in London as there was a very good Military fair , One time I saw an old guy there selling Army Pay books, he had  quite a  lot  but there was something about them that looked off, they were all badly damaged and looked blood stained, For some reason I felt that I would call my mates dad, He did,nt live far from there, He was a very good collector of all things military, He came over saw them and started to ask where this guy got them from, This guy was very off, and so my mates dad called the Police, We latter found out that this guy was a Medic and was on one of the D Day beaches, this  peice of crap for a person, took the pay books off the dead and never handed them in but sold them years latter and was making money out of it, He went to prison for 2 years , The police found other items at this guys house and were able to find the next of kin to quite a few relatives. I am pleased to say that this guy died a few weeks latter after coming out of prison, at least that was what we were told, I hope it was true

Good grieff.....I cant imagine someone thinking about making money out of yer mates, and especially at a time like that!!

• Upvote 1

Well it just goes to show that there are some evil gits in this world, but to do that, and he was a medic  and at a time of War, plus how many were never identified and there next of kin never found out what happened to them, I hope he is rotting in hell

• Like 2

Hello to you both,

As Dave has said.....I cannot believe that this Medic took these books off the dead "Heroes" of the the D-Day Beaches......came home an never sent them to the War Department to confirm their deaths, and leave the grieving family in mental chaos....Then had the disgraceful audacity to sell them and make some money....Whatever the reason, there is no excuse....!!!

Desert Rat

• Like 1

Hello,

Does anyone have a pay book etc from any soldier from the 8th Army to show us on MCN.....My Dad fought in the Western Desert, then up through Sicily, then landing on the beaches of Salerno, up through Italy then recalled for the D - Day Invasion, in which he landed on Sword Beach in the afternoon of the 6th June 1944, fought up through France, into Belgium, Holland and across to Germany with Monty's 21st Army group......Recalled to the UK when the War ended......but brought only a few items back as mementoes, but not any pay book or any demob papers...can anyone help Please?

Thank you sincerely and Best Wishes....Desert Rat

Dad in the Army April 1941 Aged...19.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello,

Does anyone have a pay book etc from any soldier from the 8th Army to show us on MCN.....My Dad fought in the Western Desert, then up through Sicily, then landing on the beaches of Salerno, up through Italy then recalled for the D - Day Invasion, in which he landed on Sword Beach in the afternoon of the 6th June 1944, fought up through France, into Belgium, Holland and across to Germany with Monty's 21st Army group......Recalled to the UK when the War ended......but brought only a few items back as mementoes, but not any pay book or any demob papers...can anyone help Please?

Thank you sincerely and Best Wishes....Desert Rat

Dad in the Army April 1941 Aged...19.jpg

Hi Ian, I'm sure I can help....I'm sure I have mjust what you are after.......paperwork, letters etc etc ??...give me a couple of days, to get photos set up  and I'll get it sorted for you...:)

Hope you like what you see mate...:)

• Upvote 1

Hello Norrie,

That sounds .....Superb, thanks so much, just a few momento's that would be good with my very small collection my Dad brought back.

Please send me some images and the £.?

Very Grateful and Best to you......Ian

He was a despatch rider for the Army and rode a BSA, then went on to drive American Trucks, then in the Western Desert a Tank Transporter.....To collect the damaged tanks after a battle (also he had to get inside then collect the body parts of the crew, put all into canvas sacks of the tank crew who, when the 88mm passed through the tank it didn't have the velocity to pass straight through the other side, so it spun around inside the tank.....decapitating the crew as mincemeat......!!!

Load up the tank/ tanks and return to base to be cleaned out and made ready for the next battle, there were Churchill, Shermans and others?

He went to War as a young "Boy" as they All did, but returned a broken man and died in 1973 at 53 yearsold.....My Hero!!! 

Dad in the Army on His Motorbike...1939.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat