Graf Zeppelin Photo.

Norrie

A month or more ago, at my local auction house, ( Online only) I bought a mixed box of photos and postcards...they all seem to be from the 20's and 30's.......so, this afternoon, I decided to go through them, this was the first one that sparked my interest.

An airship, pic taken from what i am sure was a boat.

I could find nothing online, so signed up to a website on Airships....and asked if they could help me...

Got a few good replies, and one from the sites "historian" who is convinced its the Graf Zeppelin.....seemingly this guy knows his stuff...I am chuffed as heck about it...:) 

My photo is the small one with the boats ropes in the way...the other for comparison...:)

The photo is now in my album, and protected...best get through the rest of the photos...:)

Airship002.jpg

grafzeppelin.jpg

• Like 2

Is this too different types of Zeppelin, the rear tail fins dont look the same

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mad to think they went up there in a hydrogen filled 'balloon', don't think I would have a go at that today and I am up for most things.....

• Like 1

I must admit it would make me a bit uneasy as well, I dont get on with being high up in the first place, even though i did Para ascending, but at least you had a chute over you  

• Like 2

On 18/05/2021 at 03:38, Davejb said:

Is this too different types of Zeppelin, the rear tail fins dont look the same

I think the other ne is the Hindenburg...the one that crashed...

• Like 2

Yes, I believe they made quite a few different styles of the original inventor/ designer - Ferdinand Von Zeppelin, as with all original prototypes there were always changes...From WW1 aircraft to WW2.....Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster....Many different designs with engines, aerodynamics, wings, guns etc etc....

But the raids on the UK were finally ended when the cost was too much for the enemy due to many losses from the new exploding bullets which were invented to explode on impact .....and William Leefe Robinson, chased a Zeppelin from the skies above Woolwich to it's final crash site which I think was In Cuffeley, when in the further days hundreds if not thousands visited the site.....and grabbed all the parts from the shot down Zeppelin......I believe also Robinson recieved a V.C. for his Heroic Actions.

Desert Rat

• Like 1

''

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

Cuffley is about 3 miles from me, I think there are parts of the Zeppelin in a small museum in Hoddesdon where I live

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I am trying to add the next part of my story of the "Bombers" that attacked London during WW1.....But Window 10 has buggered it all up for me to publish this....I will keep trying as I can print the text from my story but NOT the images......Help!!!!......Thanks for your patience!

Desert Rat           

Sorry Norrie, I have added this to a - new topic- My apology..Best wishes...Desert Rat Ian

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text