Iron Cross 2nd class. Real or fake?

Iq20

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

I have iron cross I got for my birthday a while back.  I got this from the ruptured Duck which I would say is a pretty trusted site.  After getting it I questioned it’s authenticity mainly being black paint on the inside of the beading, shiny brown border, and having an off centered swastika with a core that doesn’t seem loose.  I have a couple theories for these but I’m not sure.  The paint could obviously be a repaint nothing wrong with that, shiny brown border may have been some sort of acid cleaning used, though idk why.  As for the off centered swastika and tight core could be because it was shifted off centered then the paint made it fixed... possibly.  I’m not sure, I’ve gotten some opinions on it with mixed reception, hopefully some of you guys could help me out.

PS:  I did do the magnet test and it checks out it also seems to be made of the appropriate three parts since when I check the side I can see the two frames and the core.

It is just an EK2, if you got it from a trusted site why are you doubting it?

Send it back and get another if you are not happy?

With over 6 million awarded and countless more produced they are not that rare, have a look on WAF, they have a dedicated 'Cross' section, perhaps they can say one way or another, for me looking at the pictures I don't see any problems but you need to check the beading against the 'Flock' copy I think it is called? 

I understand that it has turned into a science but for me they are all just EK2, not that remarkable, sorry to sound so jaded but there it is, if it a copy then it is just a resounding endorsement of not trusting trusted dealers?

Best

Rich 

• Like 1

I have to go with Rich on this , to me it looks ok, and you say you got it from a trusted dealer and from what I understand Ruptured Duck are ok, Like anything re this hobby you have to gain the experance to be able to buy items that you are happy with and once you have that it helps 

• Like 1

I have to agree with both Richard Auld and Davejb, I will add your first mistake is buying something you obviously and self admittedly know little about, secondly it is up to the buyer, not the dealer to authenticate items, ALL dealers have had stinkers, they are not all knowing, it is YOUR responsibility to do some homework BEFORE plunking down money and then start asking the questions, study, read threads and observe, the more you learn the better off you'll be as a collector. G

Edited by Gwar

• 3 weeks later...

I like your repainted theory on why your swastika is off center and stuck there. It does appear to be 3 piece construction, you could try sliding the corner of a piece of paper between frame and core at an unpainted spot. I think it a period cross but with that said I would send it back as it is a pretty obvious repaint and you should have been told that before you purchased it. They would probably let you swap it out for another.  Ruptured Duck is, at least from what I heard very reputable and hassle free with returns. They can be a bit pricey though if I'm remembering correctly. 

With you on that Mike, they are one of the most expensive and with the black paint on the beading you just don't expect that level of service/incompetence from an alleged reputed dealer, particularly with such a common item? Should make people think twice about trust. Unless of course it was bought as a repainted cross, we may not have the full picture to be fair.

Rich

• Like 1