Death Penny at Antique Centre.

Norrie

Had a long weekend in Moray to celebrate my 65th...;)

Went to Cullen for the day, as I used to drive through it every day at work, and never had time to stop...the place didnt dissapoint me, lots of antique and junk shops....and in one, I found this Death Penny...:)

Mainly because it was cheap and still had its cardboard cover, also, it's engraved with an unusual name. Which makes it easier to research...which I did today....Frederick George Alden was 25 years old, a Private 59368 with the Royal Scots ( Grandad Reids Regt) and was with the 32nd Division when he was KIA on 11th August 1918, during the 2nd phase of the Battle of Amiens, while attacking the village of Damery assisted by two tanks..they came under intense enemy fire.. his body was exhumed after the battle from where he fell ,he now lies at Bouchoir New British Cemetery, near the village of Bouchoir in N.E. France. He originally came from Norwich in Norfolk, and was a soldier in the Norfolk Regt,. then the Scottish Rifles, then onto the R Scots...
RIP.

death penny.jpg

death penny4.jpg

death penny2.jpg

death penny3.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Like 1

Thats a nice one Norrie, Its strange that in WW1 they could produce something like this, but after that they never did them again and reverted to smaller types

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

Thats a nice one Norrie, Its strange that in WW1 they could produce something like this, but after that they never did them again and reverted to smaller types

Yep, I really think it is too...I dont think the shop owner knew what he had,....tho, there was also an ARP "kit/first aid" tin in immaculate condition...if I didnt know better I would say it was made last week....and he had no clue what the price was, and couldnt sell it!!!!  

I agree about the production of things like that Dave...what I cant understand is every WW1 medal is named to the soldier that earned it...where as in  WW2 ??...just post a simple stamped bit of bronze out to them or the family...:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad it ended up with you Norrie, it's in good hands now. And thanks for sharing his story. I always get a twinge of sadness run through me when I read these, more so when he fell so close to wars end.

• Like 2