German made, Norwegian reissue

IIAND

Hi all, will get some better pics soon but very pleased to bring this into the collection - German M35 reissued post-WWII to the Norwegian Air Force.

IMG_20210720_220625.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a good one, what is the inside like, has it got the war time liner or have they replaced it with one of there own

9 hours ago, Davejb said:

Thats a good one, what is the inside like, has it got the war time liner or have they replaced it with one of there own

Hi Dave - original and possibly undyed! Either that or the dye has faded over the decades. I will get more pictures next week.

• Like 1

From what I understand that dye is not all that easy to get rid of, so it looks to me as if its the original leather, you can see the markings

• Upvote 1

On 28/07/2021 at 11:16, Davejb said:

From what I understand that dye is not all that easy to get rid of, so it looks to me as if its the original leather, you can see the markings

I agree with @Davejb, doesnt appear to have any traces of the red die, so most likely original leather. I've seen a view like this , but not many. I have one that still has the WW2 German strap.

• Thanks 1

Excellent example @IIAND! I have an M40 with a rough exterior, but a big size. ET66

20210730_070001.jpg

20210730_065940.jpg

20210730_065934.jpg

Edited by Afrikakorpsrat64
  • Like 1

I have always wondered about the dyeing of the liners? makes no sense, I have thought perhaps they changed colour due to a disinfecting process perhaps? That would explain why not all are done if say a liner was new and in unused condition? Always thought it a bit odd? Nice helmet...

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks all - having looked at some other examples of original German liners over the weekend, I do believe this to be wartime original and un-dyed. A nice bonus!

Edited by IIAND
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have been going over some of the older posts. I have a Finnish reissue, German made M42 with an original liner dated 1943. The helmet was painted yet again after retirement from Finnish use, and a very bad color at that. I would like to bring it back to life, but the leather has the horrible red dye. It was stated that its not easy to remove. My thought is acetone and elbow grease... am I headed in the right direction?  

thanks,

Matt

• Upvote 1

@MattMcGwelcome to the forum! Acetone on the liner should help remove the Norwegian red. Have you any photos? make sure to use some saddle soap after the acetone. 

Thanks for the help. The leather has 7 fingers and the stitching seems strange. Was this altered post war or made with late war haste? 

19E7616B-50BB-4112-8590-89D07E2D1AED.jpeg

602CB9D2-BA89-469B-8089-82C437E8C484.jpeg

46757FAA-A646-4B2C-AEF2-9EF51FD1FED7.jpeg

9713A8C5-C52F-4D8E-A347-9755D5F70EE3.jpeg

A0478375-51D4-462C-9264-B634E92B5D07.jpeg

6F8CAE5B-4A57-4800-B1BF-FDF64E057682.jpeg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like a nice mid war liner. Leather is too big for a 64 shell. That leather should be in a 66/68 shell/liner. But doesn't mean it wasn't original when the helmet was refurbished in Norway. That paint looks almost ship board gray. Im just thinking out loud. Had a few Guinness today. so will have another look when I return!

I’m a grubbing yank... and I get it. This is the first forum I’ve been part of and find the information fascinating. That being said, did Finland also use German surplus for their standing army? I have no idea either way and appreciate any info.

• Upvote 1

Pictures aren't the best but a similar grey was also applied on board by sailors when painting the ships? Not really my area but I remember passing up a grey painted helmet only to meet a pal that was very happy having bought it and he cleared it up for me that the Kriegsmarine used a ship grey paint too. Many Eastern EU states used German surplus after the war, even the Germans did, in particular the BGS, Police and Fire brigade. The forum is very slow as most people seem to prefer Facebook or the other social media type platforms. It has nothing to do with nationality. The busier forum is WAF but be careful it is full of bandits and sharks.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MattMcG said:

I’m a grubbing yank... and I get it. This is the first forum I’ve been part of and find the information fascinating. That being said, did Finland also use German surplus for their standing army? I have no idea either way and appreciate any info.

Im a "Yank" as well @MattMcG, Sunol Calif. and as Richard stated, Finland used alot of German Gear, and also made there own using German patterns. One example is the shovel carrier, This is an SA (Suomen Armeija) marked carrier on a German WW2 shovel. Very close to the German carrier.

20220620_085745[1].jpg

20220620_085757[1].jpg

We're close... I live in Bear Valley, up Highway 4 in the High Sierra. Your collection is amazing. I'm fascinated with your Vickers Irish M27s.. amazing helmets. I have never seen one in person, let alone for sale. I really appreciate the help I've received on this forum.  

• 1 month later...

I stripped the paint off of of my M42 repaint. The plan was to repaint yet again, but there is just enough original paint I’m going to leave it alone. Trace amount of decal present. The wear matches the liner well.

D9C81B4A-E106-468F-A8A1-3F65FAAD9010.jpeg

43975EC3-1902-4C7D-839C-ACE1967D83CD.jpeg

6E5A7183-802F-4FAF-BB77-7E5B2C92B6BC.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Fabulous job, I just hope it wasn't  KM lid, I don't know enough about the colours to comment but the one my pal had was similar to yours!

Best

Rich

Me too! I am no expert, but the paint seemed a little glossy and new. The WW2 red stained liner was attached with post war pins for reissue.  

• 1 year later...

What made me think it could be KM is that the liner was not removed to paint the grey? IE the inside behind the liner was green or so it looked? Gloss also used on boats. Too late one way or the other.

Edit, what makes the liner splints post war for you, were they dated post war or just unmarked?

Best

Rich

Edited by Richard Auld