Canteen cup manufacturer W.C.W

84mmcarlgustav

Hi,this is my first post,thank let me share...

Usually this maker never stamped the date on canteen cup,is there a way to find the right period for those cup,since ww2  to 1973 with folding handle (cadnium plated finish)and any info on W.C.W full name and maker location ,see the reference photo,thank you

s-l400.jpg

• Upvote 1

all ww2 cups to my knowing were dated and korean war as well. best bet would be 1960's my opinion. 

Hi,i know somebody who get one like this still in is packing bag and is 1969,but the full name is still a mystery.

I think we have had this type on the forum before, but it was a long time ago, and yes they are from the 1960 era

21 hours ago, 84mmcarlgustav said:

Hi,i know somebody who get one like this still in is packing bag and is 1969,but the full name is still a mystery.

i will say this now, i say a foreign made item not a U.S. made cup. i just noticed the rainbow like colors on the handle. i see this on much Japanese made parts.

48 minutes ago, hanswolf1224 said:

i will say this now, i say a foreign made item not a U.S. made cup. i just noticed the rainbow like colors on the handle. i see this on much Japanese made parts.

Do you mean a copy or did the US have stuff made there for the occupying forces, IE local manufacture?

The rainbow like colors on the handle is cadnium coating for resistant to corrosion. 

MECO cantee cup id cadnium plated to

MECO.JPG

Edited by 84mmcarlgustav
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Do you mean a copy or did the US have stuff made there for the occupying forces, IE local manufacture?

Richard, i think they were made for other countries not for the U.S. although i can be wrong. WCW makers mark is all new to me.

1 hour ago, 84mmcarlgustav said:

The rainbow like colors on the handle is cadnium coating for resistant to corrosion. 

MECO cantee cup id cadnium plated to

MECO.JPG

the ME.CO cup- is it ww2 made? if so it is a first seen to me. as for the rainbow like colors that is what is seen on foreign made fasteners like nuts and bolts. never seen it on ww2 made items.

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2021 at 09:15, hanswolf1224 said:

all ww2 cups to my knowing were dated and korean war as well. best bet would be 1960's my opinion. 

The requirement for date stamping US canteen cups ended in Fiscal Year 1966 (1 July 1965 - 30 June 1966. The following Vietnam era cups are date stamped:
WEST BEND 1962,
HAMILL MFG. CO. 1963
ROGERS, AKRON, OHIO 1965
ARROW, B'KLYN, NY 1966.

Canteen Cups that were not dated with the known fiscal years they were contracted include:

ARROW LOCK CORP. FY 1966
Borg-Warner Co. (INGERSOLL PRODUCTS) FY 1965, '66, '67.
LANDERS, FRARY & CLARK FY 1963.
Maco Tool & Engineering, Inc. (MACO) FY 1967.
Metals Engineering Corp. (MECO) FY 1968.
The Rogers Mfg. Co. (ROGERS - AKRON, OHIO) FY 1965, '66, '67, '68. 
Trico Metal Mfg. Co. (TRICO) FY 1962, '66.
W. C. Wood Co. (W.C.W.) FY 1967, '69, '70, '71

Edited by gchuggins
additional information is provided

thank you for the info. it just reminded me of Chinese and Japanese metal that have a rainbow looking metal.

• 2 weeks later...

The rainbow like colors on the handle is cadnium coating,not chinesse or japan,is a protection again corrosion