M35 Heer and M42 LW

Afrikakorpsrat64

Break in the rain so brought out the 2 ET 66's. SD Heer M35 in the early Green and the SD LW. 

20211227_111645.jpg

3.jpg

20211227_111502.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Is there anything on the other side of the 35?

Nothing on other side @Richard Auld, Tri color removed at some point or it never had one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hanswolf1224 said:

that is why i called it a 35/40. may be a period rework.

My thoughts as well.

Most all the reissues I have seen are dark green painted? If it is still apple green then normally you would expect to see a ghost of the removed decal as per orders? Have you a picture of the other side? what model liner band has it got and what date?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Auld said:

Most all the reissues I have seen are dark green painted? If it is still apple green then normally you would expect to see a ghost of the removed decal as per orders? Have you a picture of the other side? what model liner band has it got and what date?

The liner is pre 1940 as its not reinforced. But the helmet shows no signs of ever having the tri color, I've looked at it pretty closely. Its an unusual lid to say the least. Decal is a C.A Pocher (spelling?) 

Is the date not visible on the liner band? I don't have the books but I understand from GHW etc that the lot number will reveal what it left the factory as?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Richard Auld said:

Is the date not visible on the liner band? I don't have the books but I understand from GHW etc that the lot number will reveal what it left the factory as?

Liner bands a '38, lot # on helmet appears to be 2036, hard to read. I've got all my books out right now. I cant find anything on the Brian Ice list.

Just now, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

Liner bands a '38, lot # on helmet appears to be 2036, hard to read. I've got all my books out right now. I cant find anything on the Brian Ice list.

Im gonna try to hi lite the lot number later with chalk or flour and see if I can read it better.

That's a good idea!

You could try the member 'Schwerpunkt' as I believe he is the chap that owns the German helmet vault site and is much more clued up than I am, he is a member here but not seen for a while, he is active on most major fora under that same name. GHW2 would be my first call. Have you a picture of the missing decal area?

Rich

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Auld said:

That's a good idea!

You could try the member 'Schwerpunkt' as I believe he is the chap that owns the German helmet vault site and is much more clued up than I am, he is a member here but not seen for a while, he is active on most major fora under that same name. GHW2 would be my first call. Have you a picture of the missing decal area?

Rich

Thanks @Richard Auld, I hadnt thought of "Schrewpunt" Heres a couple of photos of the right side in different lighting. 

20211228_142219[1].jpg

20211228_142240[1].jpg

Just now, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

Thanks @Richard Auld, I hadnt thought of "Schrewpunt" Heres a couple of photos of the right side in different lighting. 

20211228_142219[1].jpg

20211228_142240[1].jpg

Im wondering if someone may have used Oxalic Acid on the helmet to remove rust.

Definitely a strange corrosion pattern. If they had done that perhaps it has taken any remaining vestiges of a decal with it? I like the apple green I am not up to speed on all these fandangled ways to 'restore' items other than Vaseline for zinc pest? If that is the case I presume the liner was out at some point?

• Upvote 1