'Wiped' weapons

Icantthinkofone

Does anyone have any ideas why a UK-made rifle would have a serial number, broad arrow stamps and absolutely no other markings (apart from the usual factory proof marks)?

• Upvote 1

It's a Lee Enfield number 5 ("Jungle carbine"). Let me know if you find anything out, I'd be very grateful.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Icantthinkofone said:

It's a Lee Enfield number 5 ("Jungle carbine"). Let me know if you find anything out, I'd be very grateful.

As soon as i get some time Ill start researching. Might be this weekend before I can answer.

20220103_170843[1].jpg

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

It has a serial number but that's it. No date, no model, no other markings of any kind except various factory proof marks here and there.

Weapons are not really my thing but what about drill purpose or training aid or such like, can't think of any point in not having the make or model? Prototype perhaps? Be interesting to find out why.

Best

Rich

My experience of drill purpose is that they're usually painted and stenciled as such to mark them out from other weapons, which this one isn't.

I suppose the first question is whether it was marked and then the markings removed, or just never marked in the first place?

It's a fun little puzzle, at least.

I have a DP Lee Enfield upstairs, the paint has been deliberately removed but there is still a shadow of it to see!

Markings wise I never really looked, I can do some pics if you want but I doubt that is of any help.

It is difficult to speculate why things fall through the holes in production or why markings may be later removed, tough issue!

Rich

Hi @Icantthinkofone,

Well, cant find any references to this in the Skennerton book after glancing through it. I may find something after diving deeper. I did find this forum on Enfield's, and a gentleman that appears to have a similar dilemma. Hope this article helps. Or it may give you another source to find the answer. Can you take any photos of it? Any way wish I was more help!

https://www.enfield-rifles.com/no-4-mk1-2-markings_topic10651.html

• Like 1