Cleaning bayonet scabbard

mem2022

Newbie. I have a bayonet scabbard/sheath inscribed USM8A1.   It has a blueish/greenish substance on the metal parts (snap buttons, small hole on bottom where the lanyard ties into sheath) What is this substance and what do I use to clean it off the metal parts with? Thank you in advance.

• Upvote 1

if the metal is brass it is verdigris a green crud that forms over the years. it is common on leather around brass rivets, buttons and cakes up. Q tips or a soft rag will remove it but, it will continue to come back over time. 

pictures would help.

• Upvote 1

Here are some pictures. not very clear but best  I could do with old digital camera.

P2120003 (2).JPG

P2120008 (2).JPG

P2120009 (2).JPG

P2120012 (2).JPG

pictures not clear but, looks like corrosion from age. take a Q tip and try removing it with that. if it is like a pasty substance it is verdigris.

• Upvote 1

@mem2022, as hanswolf1224 has said, you can also try the Q tips with a bit of brass O. That will help it from coming back too quickly.

Good advice from the guys, but do not over lap on to none metal parts when you do the brass O , it will show up dark 

• Upvote 1

On 13/02/2022 at 22:20, Davejb said:

Good advice from the guys, but do not over lap on to none metal parts when you do the brass O , it will show up dark 

True Dave, hadnt thought of that.

• Like 1