Stretching out a crusher cap

Hauser1920

These are very uneducated questions, so forgive the way I phrase the first one, but I have two questions about trying to neatly remove the band from around a replica M38 crusher cap in order to stretch it out a little. I don't mean a stiffener, I mean a band made of a sort of canvas material behind the sweatband. 

First, IS there a way to remove it without damaging the rest of the cap or leaving a lot of very ragged spots.

Second, would removing it come anywhere close to changing the feel of the cap, like making a Size 60 feel anywhere close to a Size 61? (It's hard to tell by just looking closely or handling it.)

This is a pretty bad photo of the part I'm talking about (the dark one above the light-colored sweatband).

IMG_0441; Militaria; Epic.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Copies are cheap enough, would it not be easier to just buy one that fits?

Best

Rich

There is a way to do it, but you need a hat stretcher and you have to do it over for or five days

Thank you both.

I finally removed that part as carefully as I could. The good news is that I didn't harm the cap at all. The kind of bad news is that it doesn't feel even half a size smaller that way, and I really thought it might. (A hat stretcher sounds like a good idea.)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...