An unusual bomb

david nower

Our museum has been   given an unusual bomb , it looks like a WW1 bomb but is small , and made in copper and lacquered steel . It is about 120  mm diameter , has a plug at the front and a fuse screwed in the rear , the actual fuse is missing but screwed in , there is a hole behind the propellor for I assume a safety pin or clip , it seems when dropped it falls nose first and the threaded rod once free of the propellor hits the fuse initiator by sheer momentum . All very odd and there are no markings whatsoever . 
open to suggestions as I cannot find anything similar to either the bomb or the fuse tho all I know is it was in the possession of someone in the navy in Ww1 

30E2BBE6-22D8-4C21-B20D-DD885888D707.jpeg

9568090F-DCE5-4B3F-89BB-F1C46474CC31.jpeg

70D129C0-FCC5-4E91-96AD-43147BD2FA0A.jpeg

2FF1BC5F-A205-4889-B771-3F351882A6A6.jpeg

A66A2159-E0E0-4E3D-9307-F99D1A75604A.jpeg

Hi, I can ask my German EOD pals if they have anything on it. Can't say how long till I see one of them but should be before the end of the month.

Rich

• Thanks 2

• Major General

Looks like something called a Cooper Bomb.

• Upvote 1

Too small really , copper bombs were 24 lb and made of cast iron or steel .

that was my first thought too.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Shown the pics to the German EOD types and none have seen anything of that construction. One even suggested due the material (copper and brass) used in construction that it may be some sort of nautical measuring device? Something towed behind a boat? Dependent on the function of the screw of course? Also if a bomb it would split at the join of the copper and steel?

Best

Rich

Edited by Richard Auld
  • Upvote 2