German M17 with Austro- Hungarian liner ?

MattMcG

Hello all,

I purchased this helmet because it still has its original paint. It’s stamped BF62 on skirt and R197 on the dome. I thought the liner was a reproduction at the time of purchase because of the metal rings pinched into the leather fingers. Once I got it home I had second thoughts because of the aging on the leather. I’ve discovered examples of era Austro Hungarian helmets with a very similar liner, but the shell is German. Any ideas if the liner is original?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi, not my area but I would suggest either GHW2 or GMIC as they cater more to that area/era.

Best

Rich

The helmet looks great, lots of paint left. The liners a replacement but not sure if its period or foreign contract. Germans nor Austrians used metal eye lets in the liners tongues that I ever saw, The Finns might have. Also the Swedes. Drop Jacob, at , Alexander an sons. a note with a photo, he could tell you right off.

https://alexanderandsonsrestorations.com/

Edited by Afrikakorpsrat64

@MattMcG This is a Restore or maybe Finnish reissue, I got a while back. Has the same type of liner pad. This one is an Austrian M17. Hope that helps.

Tony

20220722_133512.jpg

20220722_133515.jpg

20220722_133531.jpg

20220722_133540.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hungarian M17 helmets recently sold as “original” thru IMA and other dealers look exactly the same. They all had the metal grommets and black tie strings to keep pads in place. I know I’m grasping at straws, but the leather age and wear made me reconsider. Thank you very much for photos. I did send photos to Alexander and Sons, he thought reissue.