LW Camo M35 from Anzio

Manu Della Valle

Another veteran of the Italian Campaign.This camoed LW M35 has been picked up by a US Ranger Captain at Anzio.It's a Vet bring-back aquired Staside,and I have the letter and the picture of the Captain somewhere!In this case it's a Vet bring-back...brought back!
It's been liberally coated with a mix of dirt and camo paints while the traces of a yellow paint are still to be seen in some spots,especially on the front brim.
What I find very interesting is the stamp inside the liner;it reads "II Flak 24".II Flak 24 was a unit that fought in France and on the Western Front.At the beginning of the War it was deployed near the Westwall and it was one of the units to take part to the invasion of France.After that was sent to the Balkans and it was amongst he units of the 17 Armee to cross the Russian border in June 1941 where it fought.It surrendered near Wien in 1945.
Why and how this helmet ended up in Italy and most likely in Africa as well (the traces of the yellow paint would lead to believe that!) we'll never know but it's a very nice helmet nonetheless!

Hope you'll like it

PB210555.JPG

PB210557.JPG

PB210558.JPG

PB210559.JPG

PB210560.JPG

PB210561.JPG

PB210564.JPG

PB210565.JPG

PB210566.JPG

PB210567.JPG

PB210569.JPG

PB210570.JPG

• Upvote 5

I must say you do have some very nice cammos, and this one has an interesting history behind it, I would say this was found in the foot hills behind Anzio where there was some opposition rather than the beach head as the advance was only a few kilometres inland initially

• Upvote 1

This helmet has been there. If it could speak the stories it would tell!

• Upvote 1

Hutch,
I often think the same!
Dave,the letter says "Anzio" but I also think it was picked up somewhere else but we'll never know for sure!Me....I love to think that it comes from Cisterna!:)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Now that's just how I like to see them the multiple layers of different coloured camo paint it does indeed speak of being used in multiple theatre of operations and the wear and tear is indicative of hard use especially on the dome and around the rim just wear I would expect to see it .It does make one wonder if this helmet was passed through multiple hands and worn by different soldiers through out the years as we know the Germans wear great at re-purposing and reissuing equipment or was it worn by one soldier if so he would have been as hardened a veteran... 

• Upvote 1

Thank you @Mav352
@Mark K...as I've said in the header, after having researched the combat record of the Unit stamped insie the liner (I'll quote myselfe here!) "What I find very interesting is the stamp inside the liner;it reads "II Flak 24".II Flak 24 was a unit that fought in France and on the Western Front.At the beginning of the War it was deployed near the Westwall and it was one of the units to take part to the invasion of France.After that was sent to the Balkans and it was amongst he units of the 17 Armee to cross the Russian border in June 1941 where it fought.It surrendered near Wien in 1945. "
This helmet may have belonged to a soldier that had been transferred from an unit to another or it could have been re-used...why and how this helmet ended up in Italy and most likely in Africa we'll never know for sure!
The only clue would be the name of the soldier!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

A wonderful helmet Manny and with out a doubt a top shelf item for those of us that collect field worn examples the history of the unit makes it all the more interesting. And as to my comment earlier I was mearly thinking and wondering out loud to myself .

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mark K said:

A wonderful helmet Manny and with out a doubt a top shelf item for those of us that collect field worn examples the history of the unit makes it all the more interesting. And as to my comment earlier I was mearly thinking and wondering out loud to myself .

So was I Mark...but I'd really LOVE to know more!I envy the ones who can easily track down the story of an item!So far I've been able to give a reputable story to quite a few of my unit-stamped pieces...have you seen my M36 Betgmutze and the M35 GJ Tunic?

Cheers

Manny

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

So far I've been able to give a reputable story to quite a few of my unit-stamped pieces...have you seen my M36 Betgmutze and the M35 GJ Tunic?

Cheers

Manny

Not yet Manny I will have a look tonight after work I did manage a quick glance at your lovely M-44 ensemble with rare lufty belt though an outstanding  bit of kit that love the late war use of the Italian textiles..

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2016 at 21:10, Mark K said:

We don't post here to "show off" but to share our hobby and our "treasures" with friends who love the same things as we do and it's great to read your comments...makes you want to post more!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

• Major General

I love that lid too, don't forget about me!!

honestly, a real been there and done it veteran...from a veteran....just a fantastic lid!  :P

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I love it :-) Just how I like them with character and been there look :-)

• Upvote 1

On 20/5/2016 at 16:33, adlermilitaria said:

I love it :-) Just how I like them with character and been there look :-)

Danke Schoen @adlermilitaria!^_^

• 5 months later...