Early War M36 Bergmutze,named and historically interesting!

Manu Della Valle

This piece is nothing short of amazing!It's an early M35 Bergmutze which belonged to a Jager of 1 Geb Regt. 136!A Google search will reveal a lot of interesting details about this Regiment,last but not least the fact that it was amongst the first units to cross the Polish border in the early morning of September 1st 1939:

"The 2 Gebirgsdivision (2 GD) in Poland - 1939.

The 2 GD (Innsbruck) was commanded by Generalleutnant Valentin Feurstein (Ia Oberstleutnant Degen), it was organized on the basis of the 6 Austrian Infantry Division and comprised two regiments of mountain hunters: the GJR 136 of Tyrol (Oberst Nake) and the GJR 137 (Oberst Schlemmer), a mountain artillery regiment: the GAR 111, plus the AA 111; the Geb Pi Btl 82, the NA 67 and the Pz Jag Abt 47.

For this campaign the division was subordinated to the XVIII Geb AK (General der Infanterie Eugen Bayer) within the 14 AOK (Generaloberst Wilhelm List). The 2 GD was ordered to cross the international boundary near Biala Spiska, in the Beskids, in the valley of the Dunajec and then was to follow the shortest route to Lemberg / Lwow.

It's nealy-unworn,therefore I think that it was the best one in our Jager's trunk and mainly worn for his Ausgehen
I think that the pictures will speak volumes,do the talking and all the rest of the trite,obvious sayings! 
Cheers
Manu
Emoticon wink

M36Berg2.jpg

M36Berg3.jpg

M36Berg4.jpg

M36Berg5.jpg

M36Berg6.jpg

M36Berg7.jpg

M36Berg8.jpg

M36Berg9.jpg

M36Berg10.jpg

M36Berg11.jpg

M36Berg12.jpg

M36Berg13.jpg

M36Berg14.jpg

M36Berg1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thank YOU for stopping,watching and commenting!
Cheers
Manu

HOLY COW, that is an exceptional piece of head wear, looks like it just came straight out of the stores, theres not a stitch out of place, and the insignias are terrific, even those buttons are in pristine condition, and its all nicely marked, Congrats

Thank you Dave!Yes,it's one of the best pieces of my collection and it's almost mint!If you've taken a few minutes and read about the History of its owner's owner you'll understand why I think it's very interesting under an Historical point of view

• 1 month later...

Ummm WOW !!!! first off @Manu Della Valle you really need to share your private little TIME MACHINE with the rest of us gents here what an amazing find and IMO you are probably correct it was stored away for many many years never seeing the light of day the colour of the textiles are as sharp and vibrant as the day it was cut from the bolt of cloth with only a little discolouration caused from the leather sweatband and almost zero napping to the wool the button hole stitching is textbook. The Gebirgsjäger edelweiss (Leontopodium alpinum) is pristine and I would of course have considered this a top shelf piece even if there was no provenance and or the history of the Regiment attached to it ..   

Edited by Mark K
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Mav352 said:

A truly beautiful Bergmutze  @Manu Della Valle it would go nicely with my dog tag:D

2016-04-14 09.57.00.jpg

They're not the same unit;

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/InfErsRgt/GebErsRgt136-R.htm

....else I'd  HATE you!xD

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 2