WW2 British Airborne kit Normandy 1944

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Well seeing as no one else has kickstarted this thread here goes ;).

This is my kit layout for a 12th Yorkshire Battalion airborne soldier for the Normandy drop June '44.

Its currently adorning a mannequin on the wife's side of the bedroom.....she is not amused >:(,but i have been granted permission to bring it down stairs :D:D,thinking of placing it in the hall to ward off the Jehovahs witnesses :D. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Colonel

can a see a close up of the cap badge ? front and back ? I have a cropped badge I would like to compare it too

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army
On 18 February 2016 at 01:01, B Donaldson said:

can a see a close up of the cap badge ? front and back ? I have a cropped badge I would like to compare it too

Bear with me I have just got back from holiday so I will get the pics you require :D @B Donaldson

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

• 3 months later...

Thats a terrific set of Airborne kit, Ham, and a nice cap badge as well, is there a makers name on the badge, and do you have a  name of the guy who wore the kit

Guest Fred Karno's Army
5 hours ago, Davejb said:

Thats a terrific set of Airborne kit, Ham, and a nice cap badge as well, is there a makers name on the badge, and do you have a  name of the guy who wore the kit

It's a set I completed Dave,mostly repro,it was on eBay last week if you're interested for £950 o.O, not by me lol,but a guy I sold it too for £450.Whose relative was in the paras during the war and he sold me a story about wanting it as a memorial to him,and would never part with it,would be forever grateful etcetcetc,and could I wait a month as he did not have the funds :|.And I did no problem to me 9_9.

Total tool !,once I sell something I don't mind if you get £5 or £5,000 for it,it just p@@@ed me off he came out with the relative story,when obviously he just bought it for resale,it's just a shame and it's quite obvious from his listings that he has no idea what stuff is,and no idea of price.Seems to be another BS chancer that somehow has fallen into a hobby he has no idea about and cant afford and judging by the prices he's plucking out of the air shall soon be leaving I would imagine.   

@Ham & Jam, I take it that's the guy you told me about while at EF Airfield...you def were NOT a happy bunny talking about him...:)

What a SMEEEEG HEAD, as Kryton would say, the reason I asked about the cap badge was that I could,nt see any markings on the brass arm, I know that some did,nt have marks but a lot were made by Gaunts of London as were a lot of post war cap badges except the Staybrights. I think my mates cap badge is pre Staybright and his fathers WW2 para badge is marked. Unbeknown to me my sisters husband and her were going through his dads loft after he died, they found all his original Arnhem Para uniform, including helmet with scrim and hessian camo, his Para beret with badge, his Army pay book, boots,commando knife,and a 9mm Browning in holster,and  Denison smock. They took the 9mm to the police, and dumped all the rest in a skip, knowing that I collect this stuff. I was gobsmacked as she took great delight in telling me about it, in a letter no less.As you can tell we dont get along!!!, but that is,nt the first time she has done this to me with WW2 gear, so I would class HER as a definate SMEEEEG HEAD, and an Arnold Rimmer of the highest order.

Nice Lay out @Ham & Jam!

Did have some airborne thingies or 2, but more related to Arnhem!

Had 3 full mannequins, but one is sold to a museum.

The infantry guy was sold to the museum.
The red berets that are shown on the mannequins are all post war versions from the early 50's.
Had one original one that I kept in a displaycase.
Beret was left behind in Oosterbeek and had the plastic Gilderbadge on it.

Still have a signals guy and a jumper.
The X-type on the jumper is a left behind from the Ginkelse heide.
Was only  the harnnass and found the inner and outerbag in the UK.

Also had me some aerial dropping containers, both original from Arnhem.
The one with the wireless is put together ( meaning, the WS was not left behind and the protective chusions were found in the UK)

gb para infanterist (1).JPG

gb para infanterist (3).JPG

gb para infanterist (6).JPG

gb para infanterist (8).JPG

mannequin-GB-airsignal.JPG

mannequin-GB-airsignal_02.JPG

mannequin-GB-airsignal_03.JPG

mannequin-GB-airsignal_04.JPG

mannequin-GB-airsignal_05.JPG

mannequin-GB-airsignal_06.JPG

mannequin-GB-airsignal_09.JPG

manGBparajump.JPG

manGBparajump_02.JPG

manGBparajump_03.JPG

manGBparajump_04.JPG

manGBparajump_05.JPG

gb droppingscontainer+ chute + klem (1).JPG

gb droppingscontainer+ chute + klem (3).JPG

K1131 (1).JPG

K1131 (2).JPG

britse parahelm en baret [800x600].JPG

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I had a the remains of  a glider pilots helmet and oxy mask that were recovered from the LZ and a frame that had a baker lite para badge,and AAC badge along with an SS belt buckle and SS collar insignia given to an army chaplain in the 1960s, found in the Osterbeek perimeter. 

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

• 2 weeks later...

wow, great collection!. My Grandfather Served with 12th Yorkshire during the War..... but did he save any of his uniform? no :(

gonna be expensive time for me!

thanks for sharing

Hi @Henri,

That's a super airborne and mannequin display, thanks for sharing the photos :)

D

One of the best buys I ever made was of a "Rupert", the small dummy parachutist, dropped to fool the Germans into thinking the landings were going to be anywhere except Normandy. I eventually sold it to Joe Lyndhurst at the Warnham War Museum, which many of you may remember. Pity I didn't take a photo before I sold it....

@Tony Walker
Yep.....had one of these also! :)
Complete with original issued parachute.

Check the middle of he picture!

para en glider [800x600].JPG

• Upvote 1

Yes, that's the one. I never had the parachute out of its pack, though.