Kriegsmarine/Royal Navy

Libertesoe

Thought I'd start a new topic and post a pic of my small Atlantik display. I seem to do this....move off at tangents ....research and collect for a few months then move in another direction. Helps keep it fresh for me at least. I don't mind mixing and matching so you'll see original's and fake (for display) intermingled.

DSCN6835.JPG

• Upvote 1

Anyone else doing Kriegsmarine/Royal Navy?

• Major General

I recognise that naval helmet, did you get that off eBay recently?

nice display btw, sometimes needs must re. Repro stuff.only ted fernyhough has everything for his displays!:D¬¬

• Upvote 2

I have a wee story about one of the items......In the corner I have a Tauchretter (escape vest). I purchased it last year in Jersey. In the 60's it was in a small museum on the Island, which is closed now. It then moved to the Jersey War Tunnels. Ive visited the Tunnels since the 70's and its changed quite a bit over the years. I would say it was at its best about 5 years ago. They were looking to get it Museum status and it really was impressive. a lot of money was being spent on it both inside and in the shop/restaurant next door. Unfortunately, a lot more money was needed to get it to the standard of Museum and eventually backers/investors pulled out and it was sold on. It is still good, is what it is but a lot of what was inside was moved on.......the Tauchretter being one of the items.

IMG_2508.thumb.jpg.8d656ddb7080a70d6d431

I was taken on by the history and when I returned to my digs (the WW2 Observation Bunker at Corbiere - http://www.jerseyheritage.org/holiday/radio-tower) I took it up top to where all the light was and low and behold I found that it had been stamped with the number of the U-boat it had been assigned to - U-157. I contacted the seller. He hadn't noticed it and couldn't offer me any other information.

So this is what I know:-

The U-157 was a type IXC U-boat from the Bremen Boatyard. It was laid down on 21/10/1941 and commissioned on 15/9/1941 under the command of Lt Commander Wolf Henne

Field post number was M- 13 974. It was part of 4 Flotilla Stettin from 15.9.41 - 31/5/42 as a training boat and then was a frontline boat in 2nd Flotilla, Lorient from 6.1.42 - 13.6.42

On 18.5.42 U-157 was 26 days at sea. It was operating in West atlantic, the Windward Passage, the Bahama Channel before Cuba, the Florida keys and Havana. On 11th June it sunk the 6,401 US molasses tanker HAGAN five miles north Cuba near Cape Roman.

On the same day a US Bomber spotted 157 and dropped four depth charges. By the time the Submarine reached the new US anti-submarine base off Key West, Florida on the 13th, it was attacked and sunk by seven depth charges from the USS Thetis and other Allied vessels.

My question........how did it arrive in Jersey?

Reports indicate Flotsam at the time...so was it fished out the sea?.....Was it allocated to U157 at Lorient but never loaded or was it just stamped and used for training?

One thing is for sure...It is salty. It has seen some activity.......Any thoughts you guy's?????????????????

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

I recognise that naval helmet, did you get that off eBay recently?

nice display btw, sometimes needs must re. Repro stuff.only ted fernyhough has everything for his displays!:D¬¬

Hi Bil4338. Yes, the helmet came from eBay ....quite happy with it unless you know otherwise?

• Major General

Ive a KM Zentra Kriegsmarine watch. Will sort a pic out asap.

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

The Enigma looks FANTASTIC @Libertesoe :o

Cheers.......it is a good looking piece.....Only thing is, when I send a message nobody replies......Any ideas?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Waffenamt said:

Ive a KM Zentra Kriegsmarine watch. Will sort a pic out asap.

Would like to sea that!

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
2 hours ago, Libertesoe said:

Cheers.......it is a good looking piece.....Only thing is, when I send a message nobody replies......Any ideas?

Yes, get me one and I'll reply... ;)

• Upvote 2