World War 2: Battlefield Recovery

Steve T

Hi All

We have just heard that Ofcom have dismissed all the complaints made against World War 2: Battlefield Recovery, the show I was a presenter on that aired on Channel 5 throughout January.

This means an awful lot to me. I always knew that neither we nor the producers did anything wrong, but the external regulator has confirmed this and released the following statement.....

“We assessed a number of complaints that this series was offensive and disrespectful in its treatment of war graves. We won’t be taking this forward for investigation.

“The series dealt effectively with potential audience concerns about the contributors’ methods. It made clear that the specific practices adopted were undertaken within recognised protocols. Scenes that featured human remains were dealt with sensitively, and the contributors appeared visibly moved by their discoveries.”

Thanks to all for your support over the past few months. This forum and it's members have always been honest and direct, but at the same time fair and measured in their comments, and I thank you for that. It means a great deal to me to see positive comments about the show, especially from those who watched and enjoyed all four episodes.

Kind regards

Steve T

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

I'd love to do your hobby... And hopefully it won't be long until I can :D 

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Sums it up really o.O awaiting series 2 :D

image.jpeg

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

• Field Marshall
5 hours ago, Steve T said:

Hi All

We have just heard that Ofcom have dismissed all the complaints made against World War 2: Battlefield Recovery, the show I was a presenter on that aired on Channel 5 throughout January.

This means an awful lot to me. I always knew that neither we nor the producers did anything wrong, but the external regulator has confirmed this and released the following statement.....

“We assessed a number of complaints that this series was offensive and disrespectful in its treatment of war graves. We won’t be taking this forward for investigation.

“The series dealt effectively with potential audience concerns about the contributors’ methods. It made clear that the specific practices adopted were undertaken within recognised protocols. Scenes that featured human remains were dealt with sensitively, and the contributors appeared visibly moved by their discoveries.”

Thanks to all for your support over the past few months. This forum and it's members have always been honest and direct, but at the same time fair and measured in their comments, and I thank you for that. It means a great deal to me to see positive comments about the show, especially from those who watched and enjoyed all four episodes.

Kind regards

Steve T

Never in any doubt mate... ;) Series 2 would be fantastic...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Major General

Great news!

always thought the complaints were quite unjustified by moaning idiots with an agenda.

recall reading some arse moaning about CG crying when human remains were found.I've read a lot of stuff about him, mostly in the negative, but never having met the guy, I'm not joining in.it might not be very manly, but who's to say these things don't get to you at the time.same goes for the others' supposed over-enthusiasm when they find relics...who's to say they wouldn't react in the same way?after all, you guys are unearthing history, and are in a somewhat privileged position in doing so.one many would love to emulate.

I :)second the thought of a second series too, would be brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks guys. My enthusiasm and excitement will never diminish. I will let you have any news about a 2nd series as and when I have any :)

Edited by Steve T
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone I'm in the US can't find it on any channel is there another name for the show? I do metal detecting in the states when I lived in Tennessee we found the remains of a Civil War soldier we did all the right things and contacted the local authorities, but people were still calling us bad things for months so I understand completely about people getting but hurt! :)    Thank you

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think so Dave, I think Channel 5 stopped airing them after the ridiculous complaints which is a bit silly. @Steve T do you think they'll be re-aired on Channel 5?

• Like 1

Don't know but I don't see why they wouldn't. 

• Upvote 1

Thats great news @Steve T I caught some of the first season and thought it was all very well handled as it can be a tricky subject. Looking forward to a second season.  :)

• Upvote 1

That was a very good read....and glad to hear their is a second series in the offing.....:)

I actually wasn't too keen on the first couple of programmes, but , as it turns out, it wasn't the programme, it was me...:)

I was too used to watching Time Team, my fav TV programme, and once I got used to a different type of archaeology, I ended up really liking the series...:)

I've looked all over t'internet for streams of the series, as i'd like to watch them again... but cant find anything...all I managed was a download of the 3rd and 4th editions of Series 1....any ideas where to get streams...?? :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Me too, I managed to watch the 3rd and 4th episode, the 1st and 2nd can't be found anywhere, I found the last too on some dodgy website on the web but was very careful not to get a virus. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks guys :) Can't help with where to view them I'm afraid, unless you all wanna come round my house to watch them as I obviously have copies....... :D:D

• Upvote 3

Wouldn't say that @Steve T, you'll have loads of middle aged blokes turn up at your house over the next few days, who wants 10 versions of my dad at one time,  1 of my dad is enough hehe

Edited by HetzersGonnaHetz
  • Upvote 2

It's a distinct possibility Hetzers :)

Ok DD........I'll have the kettle on ready......

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Steve T said:

Thanks guys :) Can't help with where to view them I'm afraid, unless you all wanna come round my house to watch them as I obviously have copies....... :D:D

LOl, Excellent, I'll be round with some beer in ten minutes...:)

• Field Marshall

I may actually watch it again tonight.... Still on my Sky+.

Yes 4, no. 3 was Poznan and 4 was Kurland. I don't know about 1 and 2.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry I am so late in answering this.........But Thank You All for some superb replies!

Best Wishes to You All...........Desert Rat