DAK pics

Lenny

This must have been before the Second Battle of El Alamein as they all look happy. Ho Ho :D 

Edited by HetzersGonnaHetz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Field Marshall

I've got loads more, will add a a few others.. I had thought about a gallery. ;)

• Upvote 2

Here are some well known photos and one of my own, does anyone recognize him from somewhere? (It's photo number 5)

The first photo is probably the main reason I got into collecting German tropical militaria back in the late 1980's

D

4967739629_351b3e77d8_z.jpg

Schebeler_2.jpg

163510_164938880335278_155471122_n.jpg

1379250_239968639498968_1856182188_n.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

MVC-016S_lg.jpg

11705297_501733083322521_2904478770119943310_n.jpg

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 4

I have to dig the 3 or 4 originals out that I have somewhere and will share them as well.

Hi everyone,

Nobody recognizes this German North African vet then?

I will give you all a clue there is a photo of him in the well known Kurtz book on Afrika Korps uniforms.

3.jpg

IMG_3391.JPG

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ahrtal,

Thank you for sharing these really interesting photos :)

One photo looks like  a caption competition entry to me?

D

• Major General

Some excellent photos guys! Really love AK stuff, and these pics show tropical gear up so well.

On 3/22/2016 at 17:58, DAK D said:

@ahrtal,

Thank you for sharing these really interesting photos :)

One photo looks like  a caption competition entry to me?

D

Yes, the last one, right?

4 hours ago, ahrtal said:

Yes, the last one, right?

Yes the, last one :)

D

@Lenny Hope this isn't too grisly for the forum:

Pictured is the burnt remains of a Panzer IVs radio operator being hoisted out of his compartment, Libya March 30 1942

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

I'm ok with it, seen it before, horrors of war, and especially fire in tanks...

A regular occurrence in the Shermans, so much so the Germans called them Tommy Cookers, war is hell...

Well this is the other side of war, It does,nt hurt every now and then to remind someone what the costs were, My grandmothers two nephews were both killed in tanks a few days apart, both in the same troop, somewhere in North Africa I think, I do know that one was decapitated the other I dont know. If you notice in the photo the two guys pulling the body out are not using a great deal of force . When a person dies in fire like this the body weight is vastly reduced through lack of body fluids, Unfortunately I ve had to do the same thing after a house fire involving children, one of the downsides of police work

• Upvote 2

My God @Davejb, I couldn't do that mate, I just couldn't. My Grandma's Uncles were Desert Rats, not only were the enemies hostile, so was the environment, they were very lucky to get home. 

An uncle of mine was in Burma, he hated the jungle environment, you either got bitten, foot rot, stung, sweat rashes, malaria, dysentery ,also the amount of people who were injured by some burk swinging away with a machette,he always said he would swop with his brother who was in the desert, in a heart beat, or with the other one in the Royal Marines

• Upvote 1

He used to make me laugh, he said that even the rain hurt!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
2 hours ago, Davejb said:

Well this is the other side of war, It does,nt hurt every now and then to remind someoneWhen a person dies in fire like this the body weight is vastly reduced through lack of body fluids, Unfortunately I ve had to do the same thing after a house fire involving children, one of the downsides of police work

I hear you, I was a Police Photographer, covered more than my fair share of fatal fires... :(

• Upvote 3

• Major General

Agree with the sentiments here.sometimes we need to be reminded that behind the black and white, war was fought in living colour, and sometimes that colour was too grisly to contemplate.

I work in a hospital, and death is very prevalent very often.I've also dealt with bodies, horrendous injuries and personal tragedies, seen things most people never think about, or who would be physically ill if they saw what I do.one reason why I can't abide folk who moan about waiting hours to see a doc cos they've got a sore finger/leg/throat etc.

>:(

• Upvote 2