DAK pics

Lenny

Here is a British photo from my collection it was taken during the second battle of El Alamein in Oct/Nov 1942

D

IMG_4087 - Copy.JPG

• Upvote 2

I'll post a few colour pics,including a few showing DAK prisoners after a POW exchange with the British,two of men of an unit freshly landed in Italy from Tunisia and a colorized one that Dermot should easily recognize!
I know hat many have seen them already but I don'yt think I've seen them here yet!
Cheers
Manu

02-shoemaker.jpg

6e346423e95d7b18b3754d0cc20a511c.jpg

7d3599a0e1425559a6d15998ce2392b9.jpg

13-field-artillery-observer.jpg

30bc75ab9ec1b385c1a3124a901a1cd4.jpg

435fe0af1d8c15cbf3f09fa75d9d944e.jpg

3890ea815bb9b2e47e96720535a183f8.jpg

4664140.jpg

2905662885_1_3[1].png

4636486229_ab988b0ea9_o.jpg

4636487013_e3798b843c_o.jpg

Afrika Korps - Messerschmidt Bf-110-color photo-ww2shots-air force tropical helmet.jpg

afrikakorps color die woche magazine car.jpg

Afrikakorps Feldbett.jpg

Afrikakorps German POW exchange happy soldiers.jpg

Afrikakorps German POW exchange happy soldiers1.JPG

Afrikakorps German POW exchange happy soldiers2.jpg

Afrikakorps Luftwaffe officer color smoking.jpg

Afrikakorps POW North Africa.jpeg

Afrikakorps POW North Africa2.jpeg

bb2286d53997cc86b933c79b4b92440c.jpg

color afrikakorps soldiers tent desert africa naked (1).jpg

color afrikakorps soldiers tent desert africa naked.jpg

DAK3_small.jpg

download.jpg

e873e508696d554485a34562247e6031.jpg

Erwin Rommel Ernst Franz interpreter translator sonderfuehrer italian.jpg

f1ec8a0f1d5430e383983e5580c2c3ad.jpg

german afrikakorps staff car kubelwagen africa street road stop color hay camo.jpg

german nurse luftwaffe officer saluting north africa tropical uniform Fröhlich, Stefan.jpg

german_mg_team_in_africa.sized.jpg

gerpanzersamx.sized.jpg

Hans Dietrich Riesl (left) and Lucius Günther Schrivenbach in Africa.jpg

historical-photos-pt5-luftwaffe-pilots-cards-africa-1942.jpg

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

images.jpg

Kübelwagen vehicles of the German Afrikakorps operating in desert conditions.jpg

panzerii_03.jpg

Panzer-IV-tanks-of-the-Afrika-Korps-in-the-desert.jpg

Panzerkampfwagen IVs of the Afrika Korps.jpg

panzersincolor5.jpg

panzersincolor10.jpg

panzersincolor11-1.jpg

Sollumfront - Mai Juni 1941 Rommel.jpg

vw kubelwagen afrikakorps north africa german nazi color.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2016 at 09:08, DAK D said:

Here are some well known photos and one of my own, does anyone recognize him from somewhere? (It's photo number 5)

The first photo is probably the main reason I got into collecting German tropical militaria back in the late 1980's

D

4967739629_351b3e77d8_z.jpg

Schebeler_2.jpg

163510_164938880335278_155471122_n.jpg

1379250_239968639498968_1856182188_n.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

MVC-016S_lg.jpg

11705297_501733083322521_2904478770119943310_n.jpg

@DAK D Is that a web sling on that K98 ?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Afrikakorpsrat64,

Yes it is :)

D

No it isn't Dermot,I'm afraid!If you zoom on the strap you'll notice the typical lozenge ;)pattern of the K98k leather straps!

These straps were either made of fawn or very light brown leather like in this case,that's why it could look like web at first glance while in fact it's leather!To be perfectly honest I still have to see a genuine leather K98k strap!A few years ago a well known French €&&@#% who manned a firm called HSC or something like that "pushed" quite a lot of fake straps that were but Czech web straps for the  K98/MP40/Stg43 ,making them pass for authentic items after adding fake ink stamps!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

No it isn't Dermot,I'm afraid!If you zoom on the strap you'll notice the typical lozenge ;)pattern of the K98k leather straps!

A Mirage then hahaha

I have never really looked at the sling but in normal zoom it does look like webbing. Everyone always comments about the eagle :)

D

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DAK D said:

A Mirage then hahaha

I have never really looked at the sling but in normal zoom it does look like webbing. Everyone always comments about the eagle :)

D

The eagle is fake and reapplied!xD

• Upvote 1

Joking apart...what's your opinion on this (in)famous eagle,Dermot?

53 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Joking apart...what's your opinion on this (in)famous eagle,Dermot?

It could be an illusion caused by the creases in his tropical blouse, as I noticed his pocked flap is tucked into the pocket?

Others have suggested that the photo was touched in at the time and that is possible?

D

1 hour ago, Manu Della Valle said:

@Manu Della Valle, I thought as well, but on closer inspection it appears to have the rough edge of webbing and the diamond pattern of the weave.

27 minutes ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

@Manu Della Valle, I thought as well, but on closer inspection it appears to have the rough edge of webbing and the diamond pattern of the weave.

Take it from me mate...that sling is made of leather!;)
If you want to believe that it's made of canvas with a lozenge pattern pressed on it you're just as welcome,my friend!^_^

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Had a look too...the slings definitely a tan leather one with the typical lozenge pattern.as for the Adler, looks to me also to be creased which makes the wings appear SS-like.

Definitely a leather sling as it has grooves inboard of the edges which you dont find on web slings. Very strange eagle though.:)

Guys,

I like joking on this particular eagle,especially with so-called"experten" who can't tell their @$$hole from a hole in the ground,but since this is deffo not the case here,being this forum the best one around I'll tell you what has been my humble opinion for ages;hasn't  occurred yo anybody that that "hyper-rare,never seen WSS subdued,tropical chicken" is just our regular tropical eagle with the tips of the wings folded and tucked in or cut off.....take a closer look yourselves,mates!It may have been "against regulation" for our sentinel to turn his chest eagle into a WSS lookalike but if you zoom in on the picture and doctor it a bit I think that you'll see that I'm not that far from the solution!

Cheers

Manu

Hi @Manu Della Valle,

Here is a photo of a K98 leather sling and it compares very well to the sling in that well known photo I posted!

Compare this with the diamond weave on early German tropical webbing items and you will find it is not the same.

It is very possible webbing slings were made and issued in limited numbers, sadly I don't believe this is one :(

D

IMG_4216.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hi All,

Here are three super  and really interesting photos from North Africa.

German Soldier, two Italian allies and two British Paras with early helmets and Denison smocks.

Tunisia GJR 756? This soldier must be from another unit in North Africa, as the paras were not at Longstop hill as far as I can ascertain. Members of 1. Zug/2. Kompanie/ Sonderverband 288 did attach the Edelweiss patch on their tropical field blouses and the german soldier could be from that unit.

German helmets being given a coat of tan camo paint, some of these helmets look like Heer ones and that makes this photo a bit special.

One from my own collection shows German MG34 crews getting some practice in and interestingly most of them are wearing the AfrikaKorps cuff title.

D

1 (2).jpg

DAK spray helmets_800x526.jpg

IMG_0706 - Copy.JPG

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 2

• Major General

Excellent photos.didn't know paras were even in the western desert theatre.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics from my own personal collection gents but IMO very probably taken in Italy perhaps @Manu Della Valle might know were the one at the fountain might have been taken and the last image shown was reportedly taken in Africa and shows British soldiers being guarded by a DAK unit while on a break 

G 3_NEW.jpg

G 5.jpg

G 4.jpg

98f831c2f1b85d7a2216518c57f418fd9b61ee4bf0e84bdb4c88500f7f17649d.4yos5puk0bgg4wow08k8cg4wo.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpeg

Edited by Mark K
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Mark K,

Great photos thank you for sharing :)

The last photo of captured soldiers is very interesting.

Black soldier.

Kradmantel

Bombay bloomers (jobby stoppers) ??? Hey I have been censored :D

D

3.jpeg

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

A few more photos of German soldiers in tropical uniforms, or in the North Africa during the campaign.

D

1/ Nice studio portrait of Heer German soldier in his new tropical uniform. Perhaps Signals or Panzer.

2/ A well known photo of a grizzled Afrika  kamfer.

3/ Hauptmann Seebohm (More on him to come in another post)

4/ A nice studio photo of a German soldier wearing a tropenhelm and an olive tropical first pattern blouse with tan boards.

5/ Full length studio portrait of a Panzer soldier  (Panzer Regiment 8)

6/ DAK NCO and friend.

7/ LW Flak member in Heer 1st pattern tropical blouse with LW insignia added.

8/ DAK soldier on a motorbike .

9/ DAK sodldiers and an native man.

10/ takiing a break and having a read.

11/ Panzer Mk3 Note plaque honouring a fallen Kamaraden who died in France.

12/ Officer Camel Korps !!

13/ Heer Motorbike soldier.

14/ Panzer crew frying an egg. (These photos and others have been called out as propoganda in the past, but nevertheless they are interesting still)

15/ Same crew next photo

16/ Frying eggs 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3 Hauptmann Seebohm.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DAK D said:

A few more photos of German soldiers in tropical uniforms, or in the North Africa during the campaign.

D

1/ Nice studio portrait of Heer German soldier in his new tropical uniform. Perhaps Signals or Panzer.

2/ A well known photo of a grizzled Afrika  kamfer.

3/ Hauptmann Seebohm (More on him to come in another post)

4/ A nice studio photo of a German soldier wearing a tropenhelm and an olive tropical first pattern blouse with tan boards.

5/ Full length studio portrait of a Panzer soldier  (Panzer Regiment 8)

6/ DAK NCO and friend.

7/ LW Flak member in Heer 1st pattern tropical blouse with LW insignia added.

8/ DAK soldier on a motorbike .

9/ DAK sodldiers and an native man.

10/ takiing a break and having a read.

11/ Panzer Mk3 Note plaque honouring a fallen Kamaraden who died in France.

12/ Officer Camel Korps !!

13/ Heer Motorbike soldier.

14/ Panzer crew frying an egg. (These photos and others have been called out as propoganda in the past, but nevertheless they are interesting still)

15/ Same crew next photo

16/ Frying eggs 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3 Hauptmann Seebohm.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Really like these! :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
On 25/03/2016 at 20:32, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

@Lenny Hope this isn't too grisly for the forum:

Pictured is the burnt remains of a Panzer IVs radio operator being hoisted out of his compartment, Libya March 30 1942

image.jpeg

Whats missing here, thank goodness, is the stench, particularly if they have been left for a bit of time.

Rich

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1