World War Two

HetzersGonnaHetz

Hello everyone,

Rather like @Todd A. Raffensperger's topic, this one is about World War Two and it's people, battles and events.

I though people on this forum who may not know much about a certain battle could ask and we'd help them find out about it.

Cheers,

Hetz

654.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, but somethings not ringing right in what happened to her, First off theres about 4 guys around her tending to her, you see her covered up and one of those men is a medic I think, You dont leave an injured person in the street, whether it be one of your own or a civilian, you remove them out out of the battle area and to the rear,plus its pretty obvious that the men around her were not wholly worried about incoming fire or they would be ducking and diving. Secondly the vehicle was on the side of the road and she was on the pavement, the actual road was relatively clear of obstruction, you dont intentionally drive over a vehicle just because its there and not in the way, you dont risk losing a track while in a battle area. Also they were able to bury the Grocer although he had been killed, if he,d been run over by a tank there would,nt be much left to ID him with so why not her, personally I think she was removed to an aid station and probably died there and was interred with a few other unidentified people in a communal grave, either that or she survived and lived on as people did without looking for relatives after the war, or ended up in a care home. plus I,m not fully convinced that the person in the photo is the one lying on the ground, facial features are not a great match, I guess we,ll never really know

18 hours ago, Davejb said:

Very interesting, but somethings not ringing right in what happened to her, First off theres about 4 guys around her tending to her, you see her covered up and one of those men is a medic I think, You dont leave an injured person in the street, whether it be one of your own or a civilian, you remove them out out of the battle area and to the rear,plus its pretty obvious that the men around her were not wholly worried about incoming fire or they would be ducking and diving. Secondly the vehicle was on the side of the road and she was on the pavement, the actual road was relatively clear of obstruction, you dont intentionally drive over a vehicle just because its there and not in the way, you dont risk losing a track while in a battle area. Also they were able to bury the Grocer although he had been killed, if he,d been run over by a tank there would,nt be much left to ID him with so why not her, personally I think she was removed to an aid station and probably died there and was interred with a few other unidentified people in a communal grave, either that or she survived and lived on as people did without looking for relatives after the war, or ended up in a care home. plus I,m not fully convinced that the person in the photo is the one lying on the ground, facial features are not a great match, I guess we,ll never really know

You have some interesting observations Dave! I think there was an eyewitness that she was run over by a tank, but like you said, she was away from the road on the sidewalk area, passenger side of the car. Also, they said this footage was filmed prior to a counter-attack about noon by German anti-armor infantry. I'll have to watch this again once I get a quiet moment.