D-Day 70th Anniversary Aerial Footage, fantastic...

Lenny

I was in Arromanches for D Day 70, inside the cordon, I was one of the few at the vets tent when the royals turned up for a chat, awesome time was had, heres a couple of the tons of pics I took over the day

100_8939.JPG

100_8954.JPG

• Upvote 1

last year I had standard duties in arromanches another great day but not as hot as the year before thank god

• Upvote 1

I was in Normandy a few months after the 70th Anniversary celebrations, beautiful area, I would love to go back.

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

It's such a shame to see the erosion on Point du Hoc,I remember going into the bunker entrance that's fenced off just below the monument on the very edge of the cliff and finding two 30.06 empty cases and the buckle end of an assault life jacket in the scrub. But a fascinating view of all the beaches none the less.

• 3 weeks later...

Mu Uncle entered Europe over Point Du Hoc on the evening of 5th/6th June 44, his destination was the Caen area to shoot up AA guns, and searchlights....it was familiar ground to him, they used that as a point of entry for months before D day...:)

One of his Logbook pages from D Day...:)

He was killed along with his Observer Roy Phillips, on 26th June 44, his Mosquito NS880, blew up in the air and crashed just outside Margate railway Station. he had one more trip to do to complete his second tour before going on a rest. 

jackie logbook dday.jpg

• Upvote 2

He wrote this letter home a couple of days after that D Day over Europe, him and all his colleagues had the same thoughts about the "Boys" in Caen....

Manston 9 june 44 page 1.jpg

manston 9 june 44 page 2.jpg

Manston 9 june 44 page3.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

Amazing, and very poignant...

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Amazingly poignant letter and so personal too, really sums up a momentous era.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys, I have all of his letters home to his mum and dad ( My Grandparents) from when he left Dullatur Golf Club where they lived and worked to begin initial training at Grangemouth Airport,,through his various squadrons,  to the final one written 24 hours before he was killed, THAT is one poignant letter, he's full of hope for the future, and thinking of becoming a golf pro once he's demobbed...and in one paragraph in that letter, he says that he thinks his time at the Squadron is done!!!

After D day, the Sqdn ( 605) was put onto Home Defence, on "Diver Patrol" as they called it, chasing Doodlebugs or Pilotless Aircraft, he had some success in that area ( His words) shooting down one bomb...but says it was'nt very thrilling work!!!! New/clean trousers for me please...:)

• Upvote 1