Repairing and restoring a German MG ammo can.

Afrikakorpsrat64

I picked up this can for cheap awhile back, had a split seam in the front and an ugly coat of "baby jobby" green (only way I can  describe it. ) So I decided to try my had at Brazing/welding. After a little work I got a satisfactory bond, I smoothed it out with a grinding wheel on my Dremel tool. And repainted can in German Field grey .20231007_083318.thumb.jpg.9c4df927b5956ec90e62ba890368ca07.jpg

386339335_6932082736813947_5182298474525505647_n.jpg

20231007_082113.jpg

• Like 2

That looks good to me. 

I keep thinking about welding as an option and string to the bow. It would definitely be useful with some of my renovation type projects. 

I tend to rely on epoxy resin for my repairing of all things metal, but welding would definitely be a step up. 

Was it hard to master, is it anything like soldiering with an iron?

You might get some order via the site now as I should think most of us have items that we bought on a whim in the hope of repairing them at some point in time. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 06:17, Camelspank said:

That looks good to me. 

I keep thinking about welding as an option and string to the bow. It would definitely be useful with some of my renovation type projects. 

I tend to rely on epoxy resin for my repairing of all things metal, but welding would definitely be a step up. 

Was it hard to master, is it anything like soldiering with an iron?

You might get some order via the site now as I should think most of us have items that we bought on a whim in the hope of repairing them at some point in time. 

I found that the Map gas burns hotter and works better, Unless you happen to have the Oxy/gas torch. Last Time I did this was back in the early '80's. Was working on my 1957 VW Oval window, brazed on a new Rear apron.

3 hours ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

I found that the Map gas burns hotter and works better, Unless you happen to have the Oxy/gas torch. Last Time I did this was back in the early '80's. Was working on my

3 hours ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

I found that the Map gas burns hotter and works better, Unless you happen to have the Oxy/gas torch. Last Time I did this was back in the early '80's. Was working on my 1957 VW Oval window, brazed on a new Rear apron.

1956, not 1957, sorry,my 1957 was a 21 window deluxe Transporter.

On 15/10/2023 at 10:19, Lenny said:

Looking good @Afrikakorpsrat64 and as you say, if no original paint then why not?

Thanks! I try not to mess with stuff, but if its already altered I will try to make it right for Preservation sake.

• Like 1

Good skills, do you want to come over here and weld my heat exchanger on the gas heating?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2023 at 11:39, Richard Auld said:

Good skills, do you want to come over here and weld my heat exchanger on the gas heating?

I would gladly do it Rich if I was near by!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Changed it out, tried but made it worse....

• Sad 1