Various Bomb Tail fin units(German ww2)

Waffenamt

• Major General

Here we have examples of the smaller fin units.

A quite scare restored one from an SC70kg bomb case. Note the mounting holes halway down the cone.They are for the spigot on the bomb case,being longer than a 50 therefore the design different. Slight markings can be seen(44).Need a yellow stripe when time.

As for the others,they are probably classed as top grade.

Lovely original paint and great markings!

The longer(sleeved) one is from a SD50 The shape and red stripe denotes this. Made completely from sheet steel.

The others are from an SC50kg,again steel but shorter to fit on the standard case.

DSCF0263.JPG

DSCF0264.JPG

DSCF0265.JPG

DSCF0267.JPG

DSCF0268.JPG

DSCF0270.JPG

DSCF0271.JPG

• Upvote 2

• Major General
45 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Wow, just wow... :o

Cheers Len,it will be a struggle to find the striped ones in this condition nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Very interesting photos of the German bomb fins.  In your first picture of the 3 fin assemblies together, I noticed that each fin has 2 holes in it.  I believe that I have what they were for.  My Uncle served as a B17 bombardier out the UK and when the war was over he was stationed at Istres, France.  He told me that stored there was a lot of German ordnance, some of which he "liberated" and eventually found it's way to my collection.  Included was this bomb fin whistle.

This is the whistle that was attached to German bombs for psychological warfare.  In the 2 photos you can see the whistles, one for each fin.  The caption says that they were made of cardboard.  Not the one that I have.  It is actually quite well made: the tube is steel with a plug in the base, spot-welded into place.  The pointed nose piece is wooden and attached with 2 rivets.  The 2 tube mounting holes measure exactly 9 inches, center-to-center.  If Waffenamt measures the holes on his bomb fins, I would bet that they are also 9 inches apart.  I cannot find any stamps or markings anywhere on this whistle.

I saw a picture (internet) of one other awhile back, but that is it.  I wonder how many survived the war?

Bomb photo 822.JPG

Bomb photot 823.JPG

Bomb whistle 795.JPG

Bomb whistle 796.JPG

Bomb whistle 797.JPG

Bomb whistle 798.JPG

Bomb whistle 799.JPG

Edited by Boonie Stomper
  • Upvote 2

• Major General

oh!!!  A 'Jericho Pipe'  Lovely,item! Would kill for one. yes,it is indeed 9 inches between the holes on the tails.

Thank you very much for showing it.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Sorry I am so late in answering this and finding it......BUT SUPERB...!!!

Best to you and thanks for showing it to us at MCN.......Desert Rat

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Major General

Discussing this the other day with my mate. Deduced we've never seen a metal one. I would love exact dimensions to make a copy,if possible please Boonie?

Would be glad to send dimensions...in the next few days.  Do you want them in USA-type inches??  I don't do metric very well, but could make the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Major General

Hey Boonie,

Definately inches please. I too am also old school.

best

waffy

• Like 1

Good one Waff & Boonie,

What the FFFFFF are Centimetres....I am the very old school...Inches Please.........as I can only read big numerals. (Must get my ass to Specsavers soon!)

Thank to you both....Desert Rat/ IanB

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Boonie,

Send the measurements when ready please

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Major General
On 16/11/2020 at 17:31, ChrisR said:

Waffenamt - Did you ever sort a Jericho pipe?

Its claimed they made them from bayonet scabbards too.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-ww2-german-whistle-1387092983

P1160455.JPG

Yes Chris,i have an example of one. The lads on FB were not having any of it,even though its documented as per your post of the booklet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1