Sign in to follow this  
Lenny

Reichskriegsflagge?

Lenny
Staff

Any thoughts on this Reichskriegsflagge? It's a small size, approx 95cm x 55cm. No makers mark or stamps in it.

The only other one I have is larger, a 100x170 but it's well marked up.

Thoughts? Does it look real and if so, what sort of value would you reckon? My concerns are that the cord is thicker than the ones I'm used to, also I would expect a loop at both sides on this size of flag? Also, most of them have makers marks and sizes on the white edge??????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Davejb

Well the material looks about right, but theres something about it, The stitching is all over the place, and no makers mark or size stamps and I agree about the cord, it looks different for some reason, as if its been replaced or newer, I,m trying to think if theres a loop missing off the long piece, that would make some sense, some of our flags have that feature, also look at the stitching to fasten the loop, very ragged, have you tried a black light on it

Lenny
Staff

Trying to find my black light, but also doesn't have reinforced stitching at corners near rope....

From what I can find online, it's not looking hopeful....

Lenny
Staff

Found my black light, ah well, that's answers that question. :( I'd been offered it, but afraid only if the price is right for a background display. I've got a real one anyway...

image.jpeg

Davejb

Well that black light proves a point, its normally in the stitching where things become clearer. I must get myself another black light, lent mine out a few yrs ago and the guy moved without forwarding address, barsteward.

Lenny
Staff

Yeah, ah well, such is life. My gut instinct was right on this one, the lack of markings, the length of cord rather then a loop on bottom and the lack of reinforcing stitching give it away. Black light just proves it...

Still nice for a display, just wondering what it's worth though. Think this one is a 70's copy.

Davejb

That would make sense, that type of material was still around then, so not synthetic crap like now, the one thing that bothers me about stitching is that if its old but washed in modern detergents it can glow which does,nt help matters, i suppose the old burn test can still be used

Lenny
Staff
15 minutes ago, Davejb said:

That would make sense, that type of material was still around then, so not synthetic crap like now, the one thing that bothers me about stitching is that if its old but washed in modern detergents it can glow which does,nt help matters, i suppose the old burn test can still be used

Agreed, but taken with the other points, I'm convinced it's not right now. Still nice for display if price is right...

Davejb

I would think £20-25 at most, anymore than that is debatable, its a reasonable repro just for display

Guest Fred Karno's Army

It looks vey much to me like the ones Soldier of Fortune produced 12/24 months ago they were around £35 I think very,very convincing until you nit pick them in a manner of speaking. ;).

Lenny
Staff

Cheers guys... :)

Lenny
Staff

Daniel

I've been looking for a repro size 16 to 18" x 24 to 26" I've only seen 1 and he didn't want to sell it

Davejb

Whats even stranger is that the one in SOF also has the long cord at the bottom, They had a big range of flags at WAP last year and also Oddesey 

Guest Fred Karno's Army
4 hours ago, Davejb said:

Whats even stranger is that the one in SOF also has the long cord at the bottom, They had a big range of flags at WAP last year and also Oddesey 

Being the boring sofa surfer I am Davejb they do now and again seem to do short runs of items one of them being the flag Lenny showed ( I am sure it's one of theirs)  my friend purchased one and it fooled a good few,that saw it in his collection until he gave them the bad news.They did a run of the battle flag and that was the same.Its a reasonable priced filler as long as that's what they are sold as IMHO. :)