Reichskriegsflagge?

Lenny

• Field Marshall

Any thoughts on this Reichskriegsflagge? It's a small size, approx 95cm x 55cm. No makers mark or stamps in it.

The only other one I have is larger, a 100x170 but it's well marked up.

Thoughts? Does it look real and if so, what sort of value would you reckon? My concerns are that the cord is thicker than the ones I'm used to, also I would expect a loop at both sides on this size of flag? Also, most of them have makers marks and sizes on the white edge??????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Well the material looks about right, but theres something about it, The stitching is all over the place, and no makers mark or size stamps and I agree about the cord, it looks different for some reason, as if its been replaced or newer, I,m trying to think if theres a loop missing off the long piece, that would make some sense, some of our flags have that feature, also look at the stitching to fasten the loop, very ragged, have you tried a black light on it

• Upvote 2

• Field Marshall

Trying to find my black light, but also doesn't have reinforced stitching at corners near rope....

From what I can find online, it's not looking hopeful....

• Field Marshall

Found my black light, ah well, that's answers that question. :( I'd been offered it, but afraid only if the price is right for a background display. I've got a real one anyway...

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Well that black light proves a point, its normally in the stitching where things become clearer. I must get myself another black light, lent mine out a few yrs ago and the guy moved without forwarding address, barsteward.

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

Yeah, ah well, such is life. My gut instinct was right on this one, the lack of markings, the length of cord rather then a loop on bottom and the lack of reinforcing stitching give it away. Black light just proves it...

Still nice for a display, just wondering what it's worth though. Think this one is a 70's copy.

That would make sense, that type of material was still around then, so not synthetic crap like now, the one thing that bothers me about stitching is that if its old but washed in modern detergents it can glow which does,nt help matters, i suppose the old burn test can still be used

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
15 minutes ago, Davejb said:

That would make sense, that type of material was still around then, so not synthetic crap like now, the one thing that bothers me about stitching is that if its old but washed in modern detergents it can glow which does,nt help matters, i suppose the old burn test can still be used

Agreed, but taken with the other points, I'm convinced it's not right now. Still nice for display if price is right...

I would think £20-25 at most, anymore than that is debatable, its a reasonable repro just for display

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

It looks vey much to me like the ones Soldier of Fortune produced 12/24 months ago they were around £35 I think very,very convincing until you nit pick them in a manner of speaking. ;).

I've been looking for a repro size 16 to 18" x 24 to 26" I've only seen 1 and he didn't want to sell it

Whats even stranger is that the one in SOF also has the long cord at the bottom, They had a big range of flags at WAP last year and also Oddesey 

Guest Fred Karno's Army
4 hours ago, Davejb said:

Whats even stranger is that the one in SOF also has the long cord at the bottom, They had a big range of flags at WAP last year and also Oddesey 

Being the boring sofa surfer I am Davejb they do now and again seem to do short runs of items one of them being the flag Lenny showed ( I am sure it's one of theirs)  my friend purchased one and it fooled a good few,that saw it in his collection until he gave them the bad news.They did a run of the battle flag and that was the same.Its a reasonable priced filler as long as that's what they are sold as IMHO. :)

• 5 years later...

What is the black light thing you all talk of...what does it tell you or not tell you as the case may be.  Just got a flag as part of the WWII stash.

I am certain that it is authentic...based on who and when it came to be.  But would like to increase my knowledge on making sure it is what it appears to be.

This flag is huge.  I would bet 10ft across and 6 or so high.  Cut rope.  It has the bent nazi symbol, not sure what that is called.  Up in one corner it has the Eagle crest.  Anyone know what his is about...

Sorry to jump in a thread that is not mine.

OK...so I went back out to my shop to look at the flag again.  It looks to be a state flag.  Circle with the nazi symbol is not bent as I thought.  It does not have the black cross intersection and it is huge.  I did not see any makers marks on it.  There is some dry rot on a couple small places on the rope area.  But other than that it looks in great shape.

John,

wiki has this, but it is far from a complete list. It does however have the more commonly found flags.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_flags

The black light or ultraviolet light makes modern stitching (due to modern dye production) stand out as a really bright white as in the picture above down the seem of the flag. It is more useful to detect enhancements to uniforms and such likes. Typically all prisoners were forced to remove insignia that bore the Swastika. When these item come to market, usually jackets, they normally have had a new eagle added to the breast or arm as required. The black light is not fool proof as plenty of period stock thread or yarn still exists.

Edited by Richard Auld