Wool uniforms

OD33

Anyone here have any tips about preserving and storing 60 to 75 year old wool uniforms?

Well if your talking about Battledress blouses and trousers, theres not much to do, keep out of direct sunlight, keep moth free environment, and if you wish you can give them the occassional steam clean, they are pretty hardy uniforms, storing them, I would treat them as any other suit , put them in a suit cover and hang them in your wardrobe, they were bloody awful to wear, its like wearing itching powder and the hair shirts were,nt much better, as for German wool I would wait for the other guys who own them to comment

• Upvote 2

Much the same for the German kit as well. I haven't tried steam cleaning so not sure on that one. I always put a few cedarwood blocks in my suit bags (moths don't like them and they are fairly cheap). Shaped hangers will help keep the collar in shape.

Edited by Mav352
  • Upvote 2

seems like I've heard about spraying uniforms with something to protect them from moths, do you know what is used?

Personally I would never spray any old uniform with modern day products, good old moth balls or as Mav says cedar wood blocks

• Upvote 1

thanks guys! coincidently I love the smell of cedar! 

12 hours ago, David Grigsby said:

thanks guys! coincidently I love the smell of cedar! 

Sometimes I think I only collect tunics so I can have more cedarwood blocks. :D

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use moth balls and put the uniforms in vacuum bags!Even if the bags won't remain airtight forever the odd moth hiding somewhere will surely die!

• Upvote 2