NSDAP Banner/Flag

Lenny

• Field Marshall

Just in, liking it. A nice NSDAP banner/flag. Double sided, 95cm x 75cm approx. Sleeve for pole...

Veteran bring back, ex museum piece. Which, basically is why I wouldn't donate anything to a museum.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Now that is very nice, in terrific shape and I cant see any holes ,at least where it matters, and I agree, museums are some of the worst for either failing to display donated items or selling excess stock. My Dads cousin used to work at the Imperial war Museum London, He took my dad down to the vaults long long ago and there were crates upon crates of original WW1 WW2 items that would never see the light of day, mostly donated by Vets over the years. I did hear a very disturbing story about large amounts of items being taken to Hackney marshes and dumped in deep holes and covered in, how true that is ,i dont know

• Upvote 3

• Field Marshall

I've heard horror stories, I would NEVER donate anything to a museum. If they don't have the space they just trade between museums or sell off. This was a soldier bring back, in a regimental museum.

They are hard to display, as I wouldn't openly have it on the wall. How you see it in my office is about as open as I would ever display one. Just not for me to have large swastikas on open display, wife not ken either as she shares my office and has piano pupils in and out....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree with your comments about Museums......a few years back I heard a story about a local Regimental Museum. The museum was being revamped and downsized.....A guy had gone in, on spec., asking if they had any scabbards for a sword he had picked up. The guide said, if you take a look under that table you might find something. The guy looked under the table cover and discovered a large number of        officer's swords dating from the 1800's - 1960's. He was encouraged to take his pick! I wouldn't offer them anything......................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Oh dear I can see how she and her pupils could see it, "Go into the pianobunker and get the sheets out for Ride of the Valkyries" he he he

• Upvote 2

Has anybody been to the IWM recently, as I hear it has been drastically altered and it is not even worth a visit now?

D

I,ve heard the same thing, in fact did,nt Prince Charles say something about the new exhibit areas being too visitor unfriendly, most of the areas are dedicated to conferences, boardrooms, dining VIPs,, its not a patch on the old one, in fact I would,nt waste my money on it, I,d rather go to Hendon museum or Duxford, at least these two have vast numbers of exhibits, that you can get up close to, the old one had visitor experience areas like the blitz encounter, I think there was a Desert experience at one time as well, I dont think I will ever go there again now its been changed

• Upvote 2

I'm going to IWM London on 2nd April for my birthday, I've heard that it's badly set out but I haven't been for about 8 years so it'll be very different and there'll be lots I haven't seen before. The following Thursday I'm off to IWM Duxford as I've never been before and the USAAF exhibit looks awesome!

1 hour ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

I'm going to IWM London on 2nd April for my birthday, I've heard that it's badly set out but I haven't been for about 8 years so it'll be very different and there'll be lots I haven't seen before. The following Thursday I'm off to IWM Duxford as I've never been before and the USAAF exhibit looks awesome!

Hi @HetzersGonnaHetz,

You will like Duxford if they have not messed with it :)

D

• Upvote 1

As far as I'm aware the IWM London is free, with the exception of any special exhibition. I've been several times over the years. Last there in November last year and saw the revamp. Still managed to see a lot of new artefacts that I hadn't seen before. The Secret Agents/ Special Forces display is excellent but I'm biased. As I say, it's a free museum so nothing to loose other than your time. I agree with @DAK D that Duxford is a great place........don't miss the Airborne Forces display........:D

• Upvote 2

Sounds good @Libertesoe, I'm heading down to London in the car and then train it in, it'll be a lot of traveling but it's gonna be good!

• Upvote 1

To be honest I would,nt take my car into London itself, there are to many traffic restrictions, areas where you think its ok to park only to find your cars been towed by cowboy towing companies that will charge whatever they like , or some goon of a traffic warden sticks a ticket on it, plus the car parks in London are expensive, and are prone to either damage or thefts, and then theres the congestion charge, you dont know your in them until its too late, or you get a charge letter for being late in paying because you had no idea you went through one. Its safest to find a tube station out of London in a rural area and travel in that way, you can park your car in a car park or side street, or if you know someone who lives on the outskirts , park up at their home and get a local train into London and nearest tube to the IWM, but it all depends on where your coming in from, but Lambeth North or Elephant and Castle are the two nearest tube stations, about 6-7 minutes walk to IWM

Edited by Davejb

As for Duxford, you will be amazed at all the Aircraft thats on the site, theres two main buildings, or hangers that house the largest planes plus the smaller ones, ones solely for USAAF planes and thats impressive, the other has all sorts  and is near the main entrance, plus all the smaller buildings that are open, especially the restoration areas where you,ll see great planes in various stages of being completed or maintained, theres a tank and artillery museum as well. be prepared for a long day and a lot of walking, but its worth it, plus if your lucky you might get to see some aircraft taking off and landing, The Dehavilland Rapide flies quite often, a Spitfire if your very lucky or the newly restored Blenheim, The Airborne Museum which was moved from Browning Barracks in Aldershot is ok but my friend and I were a little disappointed , its not the same and everything is under glass and was poorly lit, its also a lot smaller. Also dont miss the original V1 flying bomb and original launching ramp, And dont forget the airfield is where Douglas Bader flew from.. 

Thanks for all the info mate, my and my dad are taking a train in from a rural area. I was astonished when I saw all the aircraft at Duxford, it's amazing. Also, is it true they filmed Battle of Britain there.

Yes parts of it, but I think it was used as a staging area as well for maintenance  and production offices during filming, filming was also at Debden, North Weald, and Hawkinge as they were the original WW2 fighter stations, The old Hanger at Duxford was blown up for the scene in the Eagle day sequence, Other places were filmed in Spain I think.