FAKES, FAKES AND MORE FAKES.

Todd A. Raffensperger

I want this to be devoted to the topic of the often overlooked art of military reproductions, especially medals.  I have some, I admit it, and I see no shame in having any when they are copies of rare and extremely valuable pieces, ornate and beautiful.

The Pour De Merit is a clear example.  The only problem is that the oak leaves have crossed swords underneath, and that NEVER was on any genuine Blue Max.  Still, it's neat, and I sure as heck can not expect to get a genuine article with a five figure value.

DSCN0137.JPG

DSCN0139.JPG

I agree. If the original item is too rare or too expensive a good quality reproduction is the only way to fill the gaps. :D

• Major General

Fair do's.. I once had an absolutely gorgeous Knights Cross repro in my early days. Wished i had took pics before i sold it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some of the best copies of third reich awards are early souval`s that have a unique history, used as trade items with soldiers badges and medals etc helped feed Germany and austria after the war and the firm of souval made wartime and post war badges for this emerging market. These item are well made and in some cases sell for big money. Much better to buy one of these than a cheap lead copy (imo) as its still a historical piece

• Upvote 1