WALKING THROUGH HISTORY

the colonel

I didn't know where to post this, so opted for here, this is my lad Zacs living autograph album he has started to remember the men and regts of d day, so far only 2 signatures, fred from 9th bn parachute regt and reg from the ox and bucks LI. He wants to add cloth shoulder titles as he goes, so if anyone has either of the already mentioned regts you would part with, hes interested, but not to pricey as he insists on doing this from his pocket money

100_4070.JPG

Edited by the colonel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

A fantastic idea! I have a Para patch I can send if he's interested. I picked it up in Germany in the 60s when my unit trained with some SAS folks.

Para1.jpg

• Upvote 5

If your interested, My mate is ex 3 Para, and he knew most of the Merville Battery 9 Para including Otway. He has a book that has quite a lot of their original signatures in. He said that he can copy them and I can pass them on to your lad, although they wont be completely first hand they are rare and this book is the only one of its kind and his Otway signature alone is worth £50. The whole book has been valued at £300-400, give me a couple of weeks and I,ll contact you to arrange posting.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Utah Bob said:

A fantastic idea! I have a Para patch I can send if he's interested. I picked it up in Germany in the 60s when my unit trained with some SAS folks.

Para1.jpg

hi, that's awesome, how much would you want for it ?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Davejb said:

If your interested, My mate is ex 3 Para, and he knew most of the Merville Battery 9 Para including Otway. He has a book that has quite a lot of their original signatures in. He said that he can copy them and I can pass them on to your lad, although they wont be completely first hand they are rare and this book is the only one of its kind and his Otway signature alone is worth £50. The whole book has been valued at £300-400, give me a couple of weeks and I,ll contact you to arrange posting.

hi, thanks for the kind offer, but zac only wants to get signatures of living vets, Otways son is on one of the same FB groups as me , he has been promised a few more yet, just waiting for them to arrive

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the colonel said:

NO charge. It needs a good home. Just send me your address and I'll fire i across the pond. Also have a commando patch if he would like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Utah Bob said:

NO charge. It needs a good home. Just send me your address and I'll fire i across the pond. Also have a commando patch if he would like that.

hi, I am sooooo grateful, my boy will be over the moon, and yes the commando one is also useful as I'm hoping roy Cadman, if hes still with us will do a signature this year, he owes me after stealing my wife on d day 70 at Pegasus bridge, ill message you my address, and once again many thanks

100_8855.JPG

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, the colonel said:

hi, I am sooooo grateful, my boy will be over the moon, and yes the commando one is also useful as I'm hoping roy Cadman, if hes still with us will do a signature this year, he owes me after stealing my wife on d day 70 at Pegasus bridge, ill message you my address, and once again many thanks

Glad to send them with my compliments to your son. It's up to the young ones to keep history alive.

Commando1.jpg

• Upvote 4

@Utah Bob you sir are a gentleman, and if you happen to be in Normandy in june any year I will ensure you are filled with iced beers my friend

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob said:

I also am fond of French wines. ;)

I'm a beer guy, but my wife enjoys a good wine, its a French fire fighter thing, and before you ask shes a brit like me lol

8 hours ago, the colonel said:

I meant to ask @Utah Bob, who did you serve with ?

1 minute ago, the colonel said:

I'm a beer guy, but my wife enjoys a good wine, its a French fire fighter thing, and before you ask shes a brit like me lol

I have been known to enjoy the occasional bier. ;)  

UtahOktoberfest.JPG

• Upvote 2

Just now, Utah Bob said:

I have been known to enjoy the occasional bier. ;)  

UtahOktoberfest.JPG

good man, get over the pond, we can do Normandy, then back to mine in burgundy to carry on the tasting sessions

4 hours ago, the colonel said:

I meant to ask @Utah Bob, who did you serve with ?

I was with the 10th Special Forces Group in Bad Tolz, Southern Bavaria in 67-68 and then they moved us to Massachusetts in 68. I left the group in 69 bound for the 1st cavalry Division in Vietnam. That's me in the red circle. Just a boy. ;)

10thSFGCoCb.jpg

Edited by Utah Bob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 16:21, the colonel said:

A spring snowstorm hitTuesday but Imanaged togrt to the Post office yesterday and send it out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Utah Bob said:

A spring snowstorm hitTuesday but Imanaged togrt to the Post office yesterday and send it out.

many thanks @Utah Bob , I let you know when they arrive

• 2 weeks later...

a huge thank you to @Utah Bob , the patches arrived yesterday, Zac had a smile like a Cheshire cat, he says he will write you a thank you letter this coming week

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Utah Bob....you're a GREAT man,Sir!:smiley-face-soldier:
@the colonel...it's great to see another young lad interested in history.....they're not so thick on the ground nowadays!:(

• Upvote 2

• Field Marshall

Great stuff, we should all be encouraging the young to appreciate history, less and less kids seem to these days...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I think shows like Horrible History really do encourage young people to study history, I loved it when I was 9 or 10 and I still watch it from time to time 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, the colonel said:

a huge thank you to @Utah Bob , the patches arrived yesterday, Zac had a smile like a Cheshire cat, he says he will write you a thank you letter this coming week

Goad to see they made it through the US Postal Service's international mail mangler. I hope Zac continues his interest in military history for years to come. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2