German Y Straps anybody?

Manu Della Valle

In my collecting career It's happened to me a few times to make interesting discoveries but when ten or so years ago I found a cache of Y-straps which I suppose had been discarded by retreating Germans I couldn't believe my eyes!Leather,web/tropical ones and cavalry/LW were all there and the whole lot was in remarkable conditions;some were used but not abused,some were worn and a few were virtually mint!
Cheers
Manu

straps004.jpg

• Upvote 6

@Manu Della Valle Wow!!!!! now that is something you don't see everyday my friend what an incredible find ...There looks to be as mentioned by you multiple different variations of straps represented here , And by the hardware I would say that there was as well early war and late war alike in that hoard as I aluminum and steel hardware mixed in that hoard...

Regards Mark 

Edited by Mark K
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mark K said:

@Manu Della Valle Wow!!!!! now that is something you don't see everyday my friend what an incredible find ...There looks to be as mentioned by you multiple different variations of straps represented here , And by the hardware I would say that there was as well early war and late war alike in that hoard as I aluminum and steel hardware mixed in that hoard...

Regards Mark 

The picture is small but if you look  close enough you'll see a set of REAL TROPICAL straps...the ones with the web rear tab!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

@Manu Della Valle thanks for pointing it out I missed it last night I was viewing it on my phone I can make out the one set of Koppeltragegestell aus Weburgt are indeed an early war produced set as the protective tab behind the O ring is as well constructed from green webbing material. Unless my memory has completely failed me I do seem to remember that you as well have another set of late war produced Y-Straps that were used in the Italian theatre of operations that I always found rather intriguing. As the rear short strap had been replaced with a rather ersatz piece of leather that was suspected to have been cut from a Marschstiefel as either part of the makers label, and or sizing was still present on the back of the strap and the leather was rather thin..

Regards Mark      

Edited by Mark K

I still have them...they're very intriguing  and ad ersatz as they come!

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Have you still got any of that amazing stash Manu?

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I for one @Manu Della Valle wouldn't want to start cataloging your collection,you never cease to amaze me with your collection,honestly fantastic stuff I don't collect axis gear to be honest but your knowledge and items are second to none mate.Very honoured to see them  :D.

22 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

I for one @Manu Della Valle wouldn't want to start cataloging your collection,you never cease to amaze me with your collection,honestly fantastic stuff I don't collect axis gear to be honest but your knowledge and items are second to none mate.Very honoured to see them  :D.

Many thanks for your kind words @Ham & Jam!One of these days (let's make MONTHS9_9) I'll start unpacking my stuff and post pictures but don't expect anything that you haven't seen before!
One interesting find will be a MINT M43 tunic with an uncommon late-War embroidered eagle on a tan/green background and a...WAFFENAMT!At first I thought that it had been added by the owner working for the WaA as a "property stamp" while I've recently discovered that in a few,RARE cases,inspectors who were in charge of approving other items like leather or web equipment stamped garments with their WaA stamps as well.It's a very interesting tunic and I think that you guys will like it as much as I do!Nobody has stamped tha WaA after May 8th 1945,since this tunic has been picked up by a boy in the last stages of the War and been in one of Italy's oldest collection ever since!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, DAK D said:

:wow:Fantastic @Manu Della Valle :)

D

Thanks Dermot.....and with that TROPICAL set of kopeltragegestell it makes two of that kind...If I only knew where I put them!:/

Edited by Manu Della Valle