WW2 Field telephone

SIrFrancis

Hi guys,

Found this. I think it's WW2 vintage but cannot find anything to match on the net. I'm in Australia so suspect it's Australian / British.

I can see 'Telephone 44c'  and 'Telephone hand No2'

ok cheers

Francis

IMG_3845.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Thanks to Ross Torrington the Secretary of the AMCA of NSW, (Arms and Militaria Collectors Association) , for identifying this telephone. 

"In my opinion this is a British WW2 linesman’s field telephone  type No 44c"

In 1908 the GPO adopted a new model of Ericsson linesman’s phone as a light-weight very portable unit for use when repairing the phone network wiring. This is assigned the GPO model number No 44. There are subsequent minor upgrades to this as the GPO No 44a, GPO No 44b and GPO No 44c. These remain in use through to the 1960s. The differences between the models are fairly minor. They look very much the same, a small portable phone in a leather case with shoulder strap and did not need to use a dedicated battery (they use the power in the circuit). They used the No 84 collapsible handset (through to the 1920s). The hand set includes a “press to talk” switch on the microphone circuit.

"WW2 military example of the 44c. Using a cast aluminium case to give a more robust and waterproof case, a 2-inch canvas shoulder strap. The standard GPO models used a collapsible telephone handset. Yours appears to have a more robust handset the data plate records it as model “Telephone Hand No 2” . Its not a No 84. The phone includes the connections for a 3-Volt battery pack to be connected to the phone."

Obvious questions

Were they used in Australian military service?

I do not know, probably yes.

Were they manufactured in Australia ?

I don’t know, both British and Australian manufactured phone equipment usually have maker details and date of manufacture markings.   Unfortunately (particularly with British made equipment) this is at times only a paper label glued inside the casing.

Could this example have been made after WW2 ?

Yes it could be made in the 1950s, but looking at the shoulder strap material WW2 is more likely. Post war would be more likely a dark green web similar to infantry web equipment P1944 webbing. So WW2 is more likely.

Perhaps you could find some dates on the microphone or ear speaker if the covers can be unscrewed like the German handset?