Attaching badges to battledress.

Norrie

Hi Guys, As a further to the thread about the RAF battledress...I've just gotten  an RA battledress with only the RA shoulder tabs on it, now, there are no fitting holes on the jacket, but I want to add the metalwork to it, , I have the metal RA letter collar tabs, exploding bombs etc etc, so, question is, do i just cut/pierce holes for the pins?? 

grampas jacket.JPG

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Have you pictures of the other insignia you wish to add @Norrie what exactly are you badging it as mate ;).Are you sure they were worn on 49' Patt battledress.

8 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

Have you pictures of the other insignia you wish to add @Norrie what exactly are you badging it as mate ;).Are you sure they were worn on 49' Patt battledress.

Hiya, Just want to badge it as a ww2 RA jacket, not phased about the buttons etc etc.... it's for my grandsons school project on WW2...and as his great grandad was in the RA, ( Anti Aircraft)  thought it might be quite a nice wee thing for him to take into school with him.....:) I don't have any AA badges yet tho, and don't really know what regt he was in...BUT, he was in London ( docklands) during the Blitz, then the South Coast, then Scapa Flow...might get some info from that...:) I can do a wee picture of the stuff to be put on the jacket...back in five...:)

I was going to replace the buttons on show with RA buttons, I also have a couple of "cannon" shoulder patches too, and a couple of RA epaulette RA shoulder slides on their way too...:)  Andrew is chuffed to bits so far with the "kit", and is showing a real interest in all things WW2....:)

DSC_0651.JPG

DSC_0645.JPG

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

These might help too mate ;).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I would get some officers cloth pips personally and attatch a WW1 medal group of ribbons above the left pocket and do it as an officers battledress,ideal needing no holes and easy to do with a 49' Patt BD mate,and a nice set of AA arm flashes. :),Like say it's just for the wee one not a Spielberg epic lol.

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Thanks for that, I'm leaning on him being in either the 1st or the 6th Div....he signed up very early in the war, and lived in N.Kilburn, so, I'm thinking def a London/Home Counties div. There are some photos on their way over from the USA from my aunt, all of him in Uniform, I've only got a couple of not very good ones...:) Hopefully they will tell me more.

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Personally I would never ruin any BD by piercing, especially when brass titles were not used after 1939/40 on them, and never at all on '49 pattern.cloth only ever used then.thatll save the cloth too, so a winner all round.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

Personally I would never ruin any BD by piercing, especially when brass titles were not used after 1939/40 on them, and never at all on '49 pattern.cloth only ever used then.thatll save the cloth too, so a winner all round.

Actually, That's good news to me.,thanks for that info.... the metal work was for a wee display on a board for him to take in as part of his project, along with photos of his great great grandad...., so....back to the bay for more badges.......SHE will kill me now...LOL...:)

• Upvote 1