1944 Dated BMB HSAT

Mark K

I had been searching for a nice example of a mid war produced Mk II HSAT for some time so when I came upon this example of a Mk II it stopped me in my tracks. 
It is a wonderful all original example of a near mint HSAT that retains all most all of
 its original dark brown paint and textured finish the net has left a ghost of an impression on the exterior of the helmet body which is to be expected.
The liner was manufactured by BMB and is in a nice large size of 7 3/4 the crown pad is still present with the faint out line of chalk around it. 
The sorbo rubber looks to still be very pliable and supple and IMO the harness looks to be spot on all and all a very nice original unmessed with helmet that has seen very little use .
This particular type of multi coloured burlap first appeared very late war and was used on the larger camo nets as seen used on mobile equipment and or gun emplacements .
Much of this type of burlap scrim was also used post war for many years until war time supplies were depleted .
The net itself is good and was mid to late war manufactured the scrim has been tied on and woven through this net for many years I feel that the net is all original to the helmet and that it was probably used for a very short period of time either very late war and or early post war alike when you take in to account the condition of the helmet and the net as the wear and patina are a near perfect match and look to have been married together for eons.
Hard to make out in the images but there is a chalk drawing on the dome pad and it is of a small cottage on a cliff shore over looking the ocean with birds aloft and a small boat out on the horizon perhaps it was drawn from boredom a soldier thinking about home or drawn by a child that has found a new medium to doodle on we may never really know.

Regards Mark

P1080077.JPG

P1080078.JPG

P1080079.JPG

P1080080.JPG

P1080081.JPG

P1080082.JPG

P1080089.JPG

P1080087.JPG

P1080085.JPG

P1080086.JPG

Edited by Mark K
Add newly taken images
  • Upvote 4

Thanx Mate I think I would be hard pressed to find one in nicer condition..

Regards Mark 

One of your best!Would you please post one of your "turtles" (the Mk III,that is!)b for us to see?Your collection of Allied helmets is fantastic!
Cheers
Manny

Thanx Manny and yes of course I will make a point of posting up a Mk III next but to tie you over here is an interesting picture I think you can appreciate...Clearing houses in Cairn France with in days of the D-Day invasion note the soldier clearing the building is wearing a Mk III and of particular interest he is utilizing a German Mp 38/40 I believe this picture must have been taken with in days of a special directive that all Canadian soldier's were forbidden to use captured German small arms as there were a few cases of soldiers that were mistaken as enemy combatants do to the unique sound that the Mp 38/40 and Mg 42 would make when they were fired... 

firing_guns.jpg

Edited by Mark K
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great pictures,as it would be expected from you,bro!

• Like 1

Just a little update as I recently took some new images...

Regards Mark

• Like 1

What can I say Mark.....Except Fantastic!

Great selection you have....Bet it's good to just sit there and wonder what the men went through for each different helmet....If only they could relate the story???

Best to you & Many Thanks....Ian