M-76 Thetford Moulded Lightweight Parachute Helmet.

Mark K

A fairly recent acquisition and one I had been wanting to add to my collection was this Thetford Moulded Lightweight Parachute Helmet.
I do believe this example to be the early production model as it is sporting a smooth surface to the exterior of the helmet body ( which interestingly enough has been camo over painted with black splotches ) and has the earlier bare metal uncoated liner retention bolts and has been fitted with the second variation three point harness. Upon inspection it has become clear that the cork infill's in the side of the helmet have been broken away as per design to accommodate earphones .I have not as of yet removed the inner expanded polystyrene to check to see if the paper Thetford label is still present.
Regards Mark

P1060710.JPG

P1060714.JPG

P1060715.JPG

P1060716.JPG

P1060718.JPG

P1060719.JPG

The earliest example sporting a full on harness as seen in the image below would have been used about the time of the war in the Falkland Islands still eludes me and are quite scarce on the ground ... 

Regards Mark

2002_01010042.JPG

This type of harness as mentioned is quite rare as is another example very similar that is modelled in a light grey that was used in Northern Ireland...  And when encountered in the marketplace tend to sell for rather silly money you you may find this link interesting. ..

Regards Mark

http://www.gostak.co.uk/composites/uk/

Edited by Mark K