My old helmet collection

Lenny

• Field Marshall

Well, part of it. All gone a few years back, find it hard to look at these pics as I'd never get a lot of these back... :(

large.56bc6bd32988b_mycollection.jpg.8f3large.latest.jpg.7ac3d25104b4c4ea844180flarge.56bc6bd150f5f_latest2.jpg.2788ced6large.post-1-1135798819.jpg.6b368125a58blarge.post-1-1135771191.jpg.8d94b5a0b0eblarge.post-1-1136755409.jpg.7a93799f9d01

my collection.jpg

• Upvote 4

• Field Marshall
3 minutes ago, lach470 said:

WOW! That was quite the collection. Very impressive!

Rob

Cheers mate, there's more pics of my visors nad pickelhaubes to come... once I find them. :double-barrel-shotgun:

Very impressive!!! I still don't understand how anyone could divorce a guy with a set of helmets like that! Haha.  Lenny, which of the helmets was your favorite?

• Field Marshall
7 minutes ago, Rockytop66 said:

Very impressive!!! I still don't understand how anyone could divorce a guy with a set of helmets like that! Haha.  Lenny, which of the helmets was your favorite?

Such is life... ;) Much happier now, re-married. ;)

Favourite helmet? My Normandy cammo chicken wire M35 veteran acquired....

56bbf0d60746a_chickenwire.thumb.jpg.a328

• Field Marshall
7 minutes ago, Tony Ratcliffe said:

Very nice Lenny I dumped a 300 odd dagger collection in the 70s LOL

It's a weird feeling, but hey ho, such is life... 

That "duck bill" Civil variant is a rare beast, have,nt seen one of these in the books!!!

• Field Marshall
5 hours ago, Davejb said:

That "duck bill" Civil variant is a rare beast, have,nt seen one of these in the books!!!

Which civil variant @Davejb?

• Field Marshall
1 hour ago, Davejb said:

The one below your excellent chicken wired helmet

Its actually a kinderhelm, one of the nicest I'd ever seen... Should have kept that as well. :(

I have been racking my brains as to where I ve seen something like that before, a Kinderhelm, its been so long since I,ve seen one, a young kid who I used to play war with many moons ago had one, we all had helmets of some sort, British ,German ,Japanese, French, American, I think we were about 10-11 years old, and most of our Fathers had brought something home from the war, dumped them in sheds or attics, until we found them, one kid had a very nice SS helmet DD, I had a battle worn Type 90 still with the cloth strapping and a couple of American M1s,two M42s and loads of Brit tin hats, my next door neighbours dad brought back an M37 with the older style eagle and tri-colour, but it was pretty battered but looked good if memory serves me correct, one funny thing that I remember was that the kid with the Kinderhelm had the only helmet that fitted, the rest of us kept holding onto ours ha ha, its a shame you got rid of it they are rare as rocking horse ka ka poo poo

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
3 hours ago, Davejb said:

I have been racking my brains as to where I ve seen something like that before, a Kinderhelm, its been so long since I,ve seen one, a young kid who I used to play war with many moons ago had one, we all had helmets of some sort, British ,German ,Japanese, French, American, I think we were about 10-11 years old, and most of our Fathers had brought something home from the war, dumped them in sheds or attics, until we found them, one kid had a very nice SS helmet DD, I had a battle worn Type 90 still with the cloth strapping and a couple of American M1s,two M42s and loads of Brit tin hats, my next door neighbours dad brought back an M37 with the older style eagle and tri-colour, but it was pretty battered but looked good if memory serves me correct, one funny thing that I remember was that the kid with the Kinderhelm had the only helmet that fitted, the rest of us kept holding onto ours ha ha, its a shame you got rid of it they are rare as rocking horse ka ka poo poo

Tell me about it, another on my list of regrets.. ;)

Lenny just a quick question,

Im getting a display case for my militaria and was wondering if I put a German   helmet inside the display case, will it protect it from the elements and stop the helmet from rusting. Also, how do you clean your militaria because I have a ww1 German bayonet and I clean it using a brass brush and WD40 and it scratched the scabbard.

Please Help,

Harvey

• Field Marshall
2 hours ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

Lenny just a quick question,

Im getting a display case for my militaria and was wondering if I put a German   helmet inside the display case, will it protect it from the elements and stop the helmet from rusting. Also, how do you clean your militaria because I have a ww1 German bayonet and I clean it using a brass brush and WD40 and it scratched the scabbard.

Please Help,

Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Display case won't stop rust, you need to keep it in stable temp and humidity. If it's in stable conditions then will be fine. Of course a lot depends on the state of the original helmet. Remember it's at least 70 years old. Old rust is stable and is fine, it's more like patina.

I wouldn't do anything to a helmet apart from a gentle dab with a moist cloth. Occasionaly I've used a very very light rub with a small amount of renaissance wax, which to be honest is a must have for most things.

As for the bayonet, don't use anything abrasive, as you've seen... remember these are 100 years old, and are old soldiers... If you're not confident in what you're doing, just leave it. As I've already said, taken 70-100 years to get to this state, keep it in stable conditions and it'll be fine. ;)

Really need pics though....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Hi Harvey,

Display case won't stop rust, you need to keep it in stable temp and humidity. If it's in stable conditions then will be fine. Of course a lot depends on the state of the original helmet. Remember it's at least 70 years old. Old rust is stable and is fine, it's more like patina.

I wouldn't do anything to a helmet apart from a gentle dab with a moist cloth. Occasionaly I've used a very very light rub with a small amount of renaissance wax, which to be honest is a must have for most things.

As for the bayonet, don't use anything abrasive, as you've seen... remember these are 100 years old, and are old soldiers... If you're not confident in what you're doing, just leave it. As I've already said, taken 70-100 years to get to this state, keep it in stable conditions and it'll be fine. ;)

Really need pics though....

Cheers mate,

In the past I've put gun oil on after removing surface rust but from now on when I get something I'll rub a small amount of Ren Wax on and leave them in my display case.

• Upvote 1