Newbie from Mauritius

BULM5

Hi there,

reporting from the tiny island of Mauritius in the Indian ocean...Quite a challenge to collect anything apart of sunburns from there, far from the rest of the world!  

I have lived in France, UK, Norway, Israel, Australia and Madagascar previously, in Mauritius since 2003.  

Interested in militaria and history, I have a passion for firearms and shooting sports, also started hunting last year in Mauritius, (wild pigs and java deers).  

I use BULM5 as ID, it is my favourite pistol ( transmark BUL M5 ISPC - high cap 1911 clone made in Israel)...

The pic I use as ID is my grandfather, Jules Zurbach, sometimes before 1939.

I work in security.

...few pics attached to show you the sights, and some of my toys

Fred

The St.Regis Mauritius Resort and Le Morne Aerial View.jpg

768788989a.jpg

BEAUTY OF MAURITIUS  (104).JPG

slideshow (2625).jpg

BEAUTY OF MAURITIUS  (108).JPG

slideshow (3376).JPG

slideshow (730).JPG

slideshow (841).JPG

slideshow (867).JPG

slideshow (916).JPG

slideshow (920).JPG

slideshow (1120).JPG

slideshow (1152).jpg

slideshow (2587).JPG

slideshow (2743).jpg

slideshow (3557).JPG

slideshow (3567).jpg

P1170023.JPG

P1170089.JPG

slideshow (3766).jpg

slideshow (3894).jpg

Collection (5).JPG

German bayonet (97).JPG

German bayonet (138).JPG

German bayonet (141).JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

P1110623.JPG

Heckler & Koch USP 9mm (1).JPG

P1080951.JPG

P1090189.JPG

Taurus revolver 357 magnum.jpg

Transmark BUL M5 9mm (1).JPG

Transmark BUL M5 9mm (18).JPG

P1170039.JPG

P1180339.JPG

Edited by BULM5
  • Upvote 2

• Field Marshall

Ok, feeling slightly jealous now.... ;)

Welcome to the MCN. :)

Hi @BULM5,

Wow great scenery and what a super collection  :)

I hope you will be posting some of these items from your collection in separate threads.

D

Welcome aboard @BULM5 !
I'm a shooter myself (IPSC) and I shoot Les Baers in the Classic Division!
Cheers
Manu

A huge welcome, but inevitably do one, because you live in heaven and want to join you grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:S

13 hours ago, DAK D said:

Hi @BULM5,

Wow great scenery and what a super collection  :)

I hope you will be posting some of these items from your collection in separate threads.

D

Hi @DAK D

Thanks, I have already started to post these items, specially the Mauser 71/84, some of the best looking bayonets, the chamelot revolver, french gas mask, the adrian DP & army and the Adrian 1915, also the german M16 & Finnish M18, etc... 

regards,

Fred

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Lenny said:

Ok, feeling slightly jealous now.... ;)

Welcome to the MCN. :)

thanks @Lenny, don't be, you would soon get bored here, you can drive around the island in 2 days...I lived in Gullane ( Muirfield) for a year back in the 90s, I have very good memories from Scotland.   

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, the colonel said:

A huge welcome, but inevitably do one, because you live in heaven and want to join you grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:S

Hi @the colonel thanks for the welcome! it is nice to meet fellow collector on the forum, not a single one live on the island, I have been searching for the past 10 years but nada, there are few WW2 veterans still around and it is nice to hear from them, as Mauritian they were mostly enlisted as support troop in North Africa, but I know of at least one who became RAF pilot and another one from an aristocratic family who joined the SAS in WW2. One mostly unknown local fact related to WW2 is that during the war, the British army in Mauritius was running a camp of 1600 Jewish refugees who were deported after being denied entry to palestine, they stayed for the duration of the war in a camp in the central region of Beau Bassin, all but 127 who dies of typhoid and tropical diseases were allowed to travel to Israel in 1947.

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

@BULM5 you should work in the travel industry judging by those photos looks a terrible place to live ;).But I suppose it doesn't pay as well as the security business lol :D.

Those saw backs are stunning ! 

All the best from a rainy,grey England :(

5 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

@BULM5 you should work in the travel industry judging by those photos looks a terrible place to live ;).But I suppose it doesn't pay as well as the security business lol :D.

Those saw backs are stunning ! 

All the best from a rainy,grey England :(

Hi @Ham & Jam! Only once I had the chance of going on a mission to hand deliver a suitcase of foreign currencies from Mauritius to Seychelles and bring back as hand luggage 25 kgs of maculated USD bills back to Mauritius, I had 3 days off while waiting for the bank to prepare the bills, and managed to visit Mahe and Praslin islands, this is a real paradise!! Stunning empty white beaches and incredible landscapes, plenty of deserted small islands to visit...I would move there anytime! but in the Seychelles, due to a ''coup d'etat'' in the past, it is totally impossible to own any type of firearms, not even for hunting or plinking...if this is the price to pay for living in paradise, I am not ready for this yet! :-) 

1 hour ago, BULM5 said:

Hi @Ham & Jam! Only once I had the chance of going on a mission to hand deliver a suitcase of foreign currencies from Mauritius to Seychelles and bring back as hand luggage 25 kgs of maculated USD bills back to Mauritius, I had 3 days off while waiting for the bank to prepare the bills, and managed to visit Mahe and Praslin islands, this is a real paradise!! Stunning empty white beaches and incredible landscapes, plenty of deserted small islands to visit...I would move there anytime! but in the Seychelles, due to a ''coup d'etat'' in the past, it is totally impossible to own any type of firearms, not even for hunting or plinking...if this is the price to pay for living in paradise, I am not ready for this yet! :-) 

posted some pics in the FUBAR...