Luftwaffe SD M40

Afrikakorpsrat64

I'm happy to have my "Salty" M40 back in the collection, even if the decal is mostly gone, it is a solid un messed with helmet. Batch #422, and a nice size 66 shell(ET)

2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks @DAK D. I 'm rather partial to this one for some reason. :)

• Upvote 1

The long strap is possibly a repro, but the strap that came with helmet was torn and is saved in a safe place. This one shows age and all and is unmarked but I have my doubts. 

Lovely salty Lufty, shame about the decal but its a been there done that lid and a good piece for a collection, I wondered about the strap, it looks ok but theres something not quite right, how many prong holes are there in it

• Upvote 1

Nice lid!I cannot say anything about the strap because the more I zoom in the more the picture gets fuzzy but I've found and sold a bunch of late-War chin straps that were thin,looked like pressed cardboard,had bonderized(German phosphating) buckles and were 245,7% genuine!

Cheers

Msnu

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 1

On 4/10/2016 at 13:04, Davejb said:

Lovely salty Lufty, shame about the decal but its a been there done that lid and a good piece for a collection, I wondered about the strap, it looks ok but theres something not quite right, how many prong holes are there in it

There's 13 @Davejb, Im gonna take better pics of the strap an will post later this week. Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Nice lid!I cannot say anything about the strap because the more I zoom in the more the picture gets fuzzy but ivevgoubd and sold a bunch of late-War chin straps that were thin,looked like pressed cardboard,had bonderized(German phosphating) buckles and were 245,7% genuine!

Cheers

Msnu

Thanks @Manu Della Valle, Im gonna take better pics of the strap an will post later this week. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, as for the chin strap, thats a good thing ,having 13 holes, a lot of repros dont, also the holes should be very slightly elongated, in other words not completely round, another tell for a probable repro, but not always

• Upvote 2

On 10/04/2016 at 18:28, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

The long strap is possibly a repro, but the strap that came with helmet was torn and is saved in a safe place. This one shows age and all and is unmarked but I have my doubts. 

Hi @Afrikakorpsrat64,

It's good to know you have the original long strap even if it's broken. I would think the helmet was probably made in 1940, but perhaps someone else can chime in on that, as I do not have a book with the lot numbers?

I can't judge the replacement long strap from your photos, but I did notice it was much more fresh than the short strap.

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 2

Here are some more pictures of the strap. The buckle end I know for a fact is real. Taking these pictures was a challenge as my cat Moe found the strap quite appealing! :)

20160415_130310.jpg

20160415_130406.jpg

20160415_130422.jpg

20160415_130438.jpg

20160415_130454.jpg

20160415_130515.jpg

20160415_130612.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting, I think this one is an aged repro, Its thinner than the short strap and they were normally made from the same cut of leather, also notice that there are leather "fluff" on the edges of the long strap, Over a long period of continual wear these would have worn off , either from face to leather contact or being pulled through the buckle. I think I,m right in saying that original straps had most if not all of these shaved off or at least removed somehow as part of quality control, but dont quote me on that

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Aged repro is exactly what I thought too, especially looking at the round holes and distinct lack of wear.

• Upvote 2

Thanks all for your input. Thought the same myself, the holes and age and color just didnt sit right with me.

• Upvote 2

Whats the condition of the torn strap, how much is missing, what end, bale end or buckle end

• Upvote 1

Hi @Afrikakorpsrat64,

Thank you for the extra photos, unfortunately the long strap is an aged copy, as already stated.

If the original strap is not too fragile I would put it back onto the helmet and sell the reproduction one.

D.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Davejb said:

Whats the condition of the torn strap, how much is missing, what end, bale end or buckle end

The orig. is beyond repair, to brittle and is ripped at the attaching point. But good new's, I have another original that is intact, only a small bit cut off at end. So I will use that one. Thanks for the help!

Thats a shame but at least you have an alternative, if it had been broken in half, there is a method that I,ve used before but in involves using a micro drill , thin metal strands and a fixing agent, and if it works well there is hardly a trace of being repaired

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I echo our friend about it being a repro but I'd either put on the old strap or leave it alone!
My 0.02
Manu

• 3 weeks later...

I wont mention the chinstrap.

But helmets like this referred to as salty - is infact a wrong designation this helmet seen the war and is a combat veteran! Much more interesting than any top shelf mint helmet that was never used. :-)