Netted and scrimmed 1940 C.L/.C

Mark K

I have been asked on numerous occasions as to the question on woven and or knotted two tone Canadian nets the information out there is quite vague but it is my understanding that the woven nets came out first some time in and around early 1943 and were followed very closely by the knotted variation as you well know the woven nets are very labour intensive and supply and demand warranted speeding up production to accommodate the troops heading over seas.
And as they are one of my favourite subjects to collect I thought I would share this late war Canadian knotted two tone from my collection these are getting increasingly hard to source with scrim of any sort on them this particular example has what would appear to be old strips of burlap from sand bags which is evident from the one piece which still shows remnants of the chain stitching that was used to close up the bottom and sides the hessian of the sand bag and a few strips of oil cloth Hessian and America Cloth (Oil cloth)
This example is very dried out and discoloured so IMO it was sitting out for sometime either on display and or in the sun.

Regards Mark

Picture 3153(1).jpg

Picture 3154(1).jpg

Picture 3155(1).jpg

Picture 3156(1).jpg

Picture 3157(1).jpg

Thanx for chimbing in @Ham & Jam yes I agree camo nets and or covers change how we look at are helmets .I know when I have them out on display that people tend to walk up to view netted and scrimmed helmets first.....

Regards Mark